Research Session #1 (1)

I found myself in Tom's dorm, along with Morgan. Various brewing stations, stacks of books, parchments, letters, and inkpots were littered across his room. The books ranged from first edition to being brought yesterday at Hogsmeade.

Tom paced around, he examined his corkboard full of facts, ideas, and musings.

"So the second one barely made a dent?" He asked tentatively. Nodding, I took a bit out of Draco's spare apple. He was pretty moody when he couldn't come along with me. But I'll make it up to him somehow. Tom compared the old potion, noting what went wrong based on my descriptions.

"I have another idea. I'll make a dream pensive. This will collect one nightmare from your mind. I can examine said nightmare and use my observations to further develop this predicament." Tom's mind was racing. He was mulling about how he found the base potion. If he manages to do this, I think that potion might become a best seller. Morgan sighed.

A green locket shone in the light as Morgan toyed around with it, cradling the locket in her calloused palm. It was a gift to her from Tom.

"Tom, take a break, you've been at this for hours." Morgan sat Tom down and went over to the water pitcher. She poured water into a small glass cup. She passed it over to Tom. She looked like a secretary taking care of her overworked but eccentric CEO billionaire.

Music was playing in the air. Tom smuggled in a speaker. He was playing the instrumental to Pumped up Kicks. Tom had good taste in music. The base sounded through the room and kept everything upbeat and focused. Morgan made sure to cast muffliato so we wouldn't get caught with contraband.

"I am so close Morgan, I can practically feel it! If only I can grasp the type of dream Y/n is struggling with, then I can create the perfect potion for her." He starts musing about his project. Mumbling and murmuring to himself, he tries to retrace his steps.

Basically, his goal was to give me a lucid dreaming potion. So in the event of a nightmare, I can control my dreams and steer my mental space in the right direction. Which was a solid plan.

"I just need to see how strong the dream is. How vivid, how convincing it is." He scribbled something on the chalkboard next to the littered corkboard. He circled the words 'legillimency and Occulemency.
"It seems pretty vivid from what Y/n describes it to be." Morgan pointed out. "Maybe we should try to sort out your nightmares without magical intervention. Basically, I'm telling you to get a mind healer." She bluntly stated, looking through her flip phone. She pressed the scroll button multiple times.
"I know three good mind healers." She offered me their contacts but I shook my head.

"Can we just try this for now?" I pleaded with her. I hate dragging other people into my mess. And talking to a random stranger doesn't feel right with me.
"She's right, lets' try this. Then we can talk about therapy options when it comes down to it." Tom murmured, writing down his preliminary ingredient list for the potion. He was flipping through an ingredient handbook. Often erasing and rewriting the ingredients.

Morgan, on the other hand, rustled through Tom's staggering book collection. She pulled out a navy leather book. It was heavy in her hold and had gold-tipped pages. It looked old and worn out. Probably a first edition copy.

"The meanings and interpretations of nightmares." Reading the title out loud, Tom basically strode to her and snatched the book out from her fingertips.
"Morgan. You're a bloody genius." He gave her a wide smile. Morgan's eyes avoided his as she shot him a pained but trying smile.

Tom wrote down his interpretations of my dream. Outlining how most of them had vivid depictions of fire. He connected my dreams into an overarching storyline. Which makes sense to me now that I think about it.

"Oh yeah, my house burned down before. My mom lost her husband. But I was able to save my cat." I pointed at the burn scar on my back. I was casual about the whole tragedy because I got used to the stinging reminder that i might've saved my adoptive father.
"It was definitely worth it." Morgan traced the outline of my scar. It was jagged and discolored. It ran across my back but was not really noticeable under a solid color shirt.

"Ok, so that's the source of the fire, now we need to pick apart these dreams using this handbook." Morgan walked in and started helping Tom with the first batch of dreams.

One hour passed and the chalkboard was full of dream interpretations. On the corkboard, Tom finalized his ingredients.

Tom didn't look proud of himself but was more proud of Morgan. He looks at her with a glint in his eyes. Tom seemed to be himself around her. Probably because Morgan has the same mannerisms as him. She knows his schedule, and thought process and is not afraid to question his line of reasoning. I can tell how special the relationship between them is.

It was obvious to everyone else that Morgan was Tom's favorite. Except for Morgan. Which was fair, since her head was in the clouds most of the time. Morgan tries her best to give Tom attention, but she gets sidetracked easily.

We finally trudged out of the room. Our clothes were disheveled. Mogan's hair was matted and Tom's hair gel was worn out from the constant combing of his hair. They were constantly pacing around and arguing about differing ideals. Ethics, techniques, processes, and even the brewing dates were heavily scrutinized.

Tom's tie was nonexistent. So his collar was opened partly to show part of his clavicle and chest. His shirt was untucked. Morgan has her cardigan around her waist. Her tie was still on but you can still see more parts of her neck. Her skirt was rumpled and her shirt was wrinkled

I was able to come out in one piece. Probably because I sat there and did nothing for an hour, witnessing Tom and Morgan debate on the ethics of pensive.

Draco caught the sight of the three of us when we plopped down in front of him. " I guess that was an intense research session." He pushed a plate of mashed potatoes to me. I gladly accepted, taking a spoonful of the mashed potatoes, I shoved it in my mouth. The potatoes and butter melted against my tongue.

"y/n." I looked up and saw my brother.
"So. I heard that Tom's helping you with your nightmares by brewing you a potion. Any chance that he can help me too-"
"Abso-fucking- lutely I can!" Tom's energy skyrocketed. He was pretty excited about a new test subject. Tom sat up and shook his hand. He was explaining his current findings to my stunned brother, who was barely keeping up with Tom's extremely intricate vocabulary.

"Merlin, this is going to be my own personal nightmare," Morgan complained.