When You/They Confess

Tanjiro Kamado

Who Confessed: Y/n tried to but Tanjiro did.

You listened to Mitsuri ramble on about how to confess to Tanjiro, occasionally nodding and telling her, "That's a good idea."

"Okay? So give him these pancakes--don't tell him I made them--and pour your heart out in the most loving, interested way possible!" She smiled then handed you the box, her face getting serious. That's rare. "If all else fails, don't forget to go through plans A-G."

Oh...

"Okay." You smiled, hugging her then running out the door.

"She's growing up so fast!" Mitsuri cried.

---

You peaked into the ward and saw Tanjiro sitting there. He was sulking.

You didn't want to startle him, so you knocked on the shoji and called out to him.

"Tanjiro..." He barely even breathed so you sighed, walking over and sitting next to him. "I... got these pancakes from my sister. She told me to give them to you." You smiled.

"That's not the whole truth." He muttered.

You nodded, heart pounding.

"Yeah... it isn't." Ignoring the want to get it all out, you placed a hand on his. "How you holding up?"

"...how did you get over it so quickly?"

"Uhm... pardon?"

"How did you get over Rengoku-san's death so quickly. You seem okay."

Something inside you felt angry at the assumption but instead, you just smiled and sat up straight.

"Because he wouldn't want me-- no, us sulking. I'm sure he said something like, 'dont cry over this' and, 'set your heart ablaze'. That's what he told me and my sister once." Tanjiro's shoulders trembled, causing you to panic slightly.

He held your hand tighter, making your heart race.

"What did you come here for?" He asked.

"Oh... uh-- maybe now's not the time..." You chuckled.

Tanjiro nodded and looked into your eyes.

"My heart aches to be with you. I can't stop thinking about you. When I wake up, when I'm about to fall asleep..." Your heart raced at that moment, eyes flickering down to his growing smile. "I want you to be happy. And I would love it to be with me."

There was a long silence until you nodded.

"I-I feel the same way. Everything you said... Tanjiro, I am happy with you. I'm happy with my friends and family, but with you... it's different." You smiled, eyes shimmering with tears. "I never even dreamed that you'd feel the same but now... it feels like an old folks tale..." You trailed off and he picked up where you left it.

"I'm not sure how long that is, but I want to spend the rest of my life with you."

---