Hazel

Day Three of the Twelve Days of Christmas Updating!

Hazel shrieked, hands leaping to her face to cover the burning handprint that seared into her face. She stumbled backwards, arms flailing outwards as her foot was caught on an outstretched ankle, and she tumbled to the floor her elbows scraping painfully on the pavement.

Above her, Rufus grinned, swiping his hand down to snatch the bagged lunch that Hazel dropped after he slapped her. "Thanks, Hazel!" He ripped open the brown paper, reaching in and grabbing Hazel's share of lunch, "Aw man, it's Shrimp Gumbo! I can't believe you eat this stuff." He let go of the container, letting it drop to the ground. As soon as it hit the floor, it began to spark and smolder, and Hazel's face crumbled as the container was destroyed by Rufus' magic.

"Leave her alone, Rufus." Hazel looked up from the charred remains of her lunch, "You have your own lunch right? What's the point in taking hers if you don't even like it. Hazel doesn't deserve this."

"Shut it, Valdez!" Rufus growled, pivoting on his foot to face the shorter boy, "She's a freak!"

Leo snorted, "And you aren't? That's why we're here man, orphaned freaks that can't control our magic. So what makes you better then her, huh?"

Rufus froze for a moment, and in that time Leo walked over to Hazel, lowering onto his knees and bouncing on them, "You alright Haze?"

"Y-yeah..." She stuttered, starting to pull herself to her feet, taking Leo's outstretched hand, "Thanks, Leo."

He grinned back at her, holding his own lunch in front of her face, "Anytime. C'mon we can share mine."

They chased her down from the castle and onto the grounds. Blood roared in her ears in tandem with the loud thumping of her heart. They were right behind her, so she kept running despite the burn of her lungs.

 She stumbled, over stones and sticks and her own feet, not stopping until she finally crashed into someone's back, too busy glancing over her shoulder to notice.

"Hey! Watch where you're--" Piper turned around, meeting her eyes, "Hazel?"

"Hazel!" Drew shrieked, marching up to the girl, her friends swarming around her, "There you are. I was wondering, dear, did you have the necklace I asked for?"

Hazel took a step back, hands shaking, "I told you, I don't have any necklaces!"

Drew took another step foward, "Bracelet then? Earrings? A simple diamond! All I ask, Hazel, is for one of your jewels, and I'll never talk to you again. Just give it to me."

Piper tensed, squaring her shoulders, "Drew, leave her alone."

"This is none of your business, McLean." Drew responded, eyelashes fluttering and her voice sickly sweet, "Now step aside." She waved Piper off, "Hazel and I need to have a chat."

Before Piper could protest again, the person she was walking with stepped up in front of Hazel, "Piss off, Drew." Leo Valdez declared, shoving a finger to her chest, "Hazel doesn't deserve this."

Drew stared him down, eyes wandering him; the grease on his Ravenclaw robes, his unwashed curls, and the laces of his sneakers, fraying and dragged through mud. She sniffed and crossed her arms,  tilted her head up, glaring down at Leo. Without a word, she spun on her heel, and marched back up to the castle, her hands clenched.

Leo waved her off, turning back to Hazel with a blinding smile, "You alright Haze?"

"Y-yeah." She stuttered, surprised that he came to her aid after so long, "Thanks, Leo. Um," She paused, rubbing her arm, "Why did you help? Just a few months ago..."