Episode 43 "The Pain in the Heart" Part 2

Start from the beginning

Brennan sees files of the team as she asks Sweets, "Whoa. You've been spying on us? More experiments?" Booth then asks, "What experiments?" Sweets then quickly says, "I'm just being thorough. The dynamics of our work environment play a role in how I treat you, Venus and Agent Booth." "Sweets, can we just get on with it? Who is it?" "I believe it's Dr. Hodgins." Booth whistles as Brennan was confused, "What is Dr. Hodgins?" Booth answers, "Gormogon. He thinks Hodgins is Gormogon." Sweets nods, "Hodgins exhibits clinical paranoia as well as a rationalized feeling of superiority." Brennan restates, "Paranoia." "Yeah. He's consumed by numerous conspiracy theories. My observations today, he's even suspect of the FBI, with whom he works closely." "It's all supposition. There's no concrete evidence." Booth then says, "No, no, no. Go on." "Booth!" "What? Hodgins knew all about the secret societies. I mean, he figured out the patterns Gormogon used that led us to the vault." "Yes, he was doing his job. Puls, Venus had also helped on it to." Sweets then says, "Or he was justifying himself. He had access to all the chemicals Zack was using. He could have changed the labels." Booth adds, "He and Zack are friends."

Brennan then adds, "Venus and I also had access to the chemicals Zack made. Why am I not a suspect? And Ven is also friends with Zack and Hodgins. The three of them are the closest with each other. Why isn't she a suspect either?" Sweets then says, "Well, you have a reverence for life that belies the cold calculations of a killer, and the emotional connection you share with Agent Booth and with your sister. While Venus has no desire in hurting others at all. She would rather avoid that after she got out of the military. The only time she would resort to violence is if she feels that someone is threatening the ones she loves." Brennan shakes her head, "No, I don't have time for this. No." She leaves as Booth turns to Sweets, "Don't you know by now you can't rush her?" He stands to follow her as Sweets then says, "We're trying to catch a killer. I thought it best not to waste time." Booth leaves as Sweets sighs.

Booth and Brennan are in the walking towards her office as he says to her, "Look, he's just trying to help, Bones." "Well, his opinions won't get you conviction. He doesn't have any evidence." "Yeah, but he's a profiler with a great track record." Cam comes in asking, "Who?" "Sweets." Brennan then tells her, "Sweets says that Hodgins is the killer." "Well, that makes sense." "What?" "Well, it throws suspicion off him." Booth asks, "Who?" "Sweets." "You think Sweets is the killer?" "Well, he shows up right after you find the Gormogon vault, when Gormogon's at his most vulnerable, and in therapy he plays you two like a cheap piano until you ask for his help with the case." "Wait a second. Nobody plays me like a cheap piano." "Hey, we all trusted the 'brilliant, young profiler.' Venus got him security clearance because he was going to help us." Brennan asks, "He was here. He had the opportunity to switch Zack's chemicals." Booth then adds, "Except he's not a chemist." Cam adds, "He's the only one we can't account for after the explosion."

Brennan then scoffs, "Great, now we sound like Sweets. We have no evidence." Cam then says, "I was a cop for ten years, Dr. Brennan. I can smell it on him." "I'm sorry, but we need more than your gut feeling. And the only one who knows of the evidence is Ven." "Well, then find it. Cause trust me. Sweets is your boy." Cam is now in her desk going throw some documents as Hodgins walks over to her. She looks at him getting startled, "Dr. Hodgins, knocking would be appreciated." "Right. Sorry. So rumor is one of us is a suspect. Who is it?" "I can't say. You know that." "Of course not. And since it's a rumor, it might not even be true, right?" 

"Do you have a legitimate reason to see me, or... are you just here to squeeze me for information?" "I found something." He goes over to her computer and explains, "Zack said he thought the mandible had been boiled." "To remove tissue." "I pulled trace elements from the mandible and ran them through the mass spectrometer to see what the bone was boiled in. It was tap water. But see this spike here?" "Lead?" "Yes." "I thought the city had to replace all their lead pipes." "They did, but individual homeowners didn't. I focused on neighborhoods with the highest lead levels. Older homes are the worst offenders. This neighborhood matches the level of lead found on the victim's bone." "Isn't that your house?" "Yes, it is. But there are other people that live in the area, too." "Yeah, of course." "I'll pass this along to the investigators." "Good." "Is there anything else?" "I could have fudged the facts. I could've left my neighborhood out." "Yes, but that would have raised suspicion if someone had double-checked your results." "If you need me, I'll be at my station... helping." Cam nods as Hodgins leaves.