Chapter One

Ruby's (POV)

'Shine bright tonight, you and I were beautiful like diamond's in the sky, eye to eye so alive we're beautiful like diamond's in the sky.'

"Who the hell is singing?" I mumbled out loud, opening my eyes slowly; they widened as soon as I found out what was blasting the music, "God, I'm so slow."  I got up, shutting my alarm off, and hurried to my closet.

My hands were shaking; my eyes were still red from crying last night; my body was busted up yesterday.

'I've got to hurry up and get out of here before he wakes up, or I'm dead this time,' I thought as I put shorts and sneakers on and grabbing my bag.

I ran to the door but was stopped, "Ruby, where are you going this early?"

I paused and turned around. "Uh s-school, sir." I started shaking, terrified of what's going to happen; my father raised his eyebrows then smiled, walking over to me.

I thought he was going to let me go, but I was wrong.

He slapped me; my head flew to the side. I put my hand on my right cheek, feeling the stinging sensation burn, "Don't wake me up this early ever again, understood ."

He grabbed my chin and lifted it, forcing me to look into his eyes, "I'm sorry, sir, I didn't mean to it was j-just the alarm was set too loud-" Another slap came to my face, making me drop to the floor from the force tears slipped from my eyes. '

He hasn't been the same since the move and my mother's death.'

I wiped my eyes and quickly got up, "Ruby, are you even listening to me." I snapped back to reality, " Yes, sir."

I slipped my hands into my shorts pocket then spoke up, "What do you want me to do, sir." I cringed at his every move, "Walk over to wendy's house and ask if I can have a cigarette; now go." He pushed me out the door.

"Okay, sir." I walked off my front porch and down the street; as I was walking, I couldn't help to notice how dirty my neighborhood was.

Cigarette packets, cups, and sheets of paper littered the ground.

Shoes hung from the electricity wires, The grass was a yellow color, and most of the house's paint was chipping off the aging homes.

I turned the corner and went up the block, " When I get out of high school, I'm getting out of here." I mumbled to myself.

I walked up to a grey house where wendy lives; I dislike her. I knocked on the door and waited.

After a minute or two, someone finally opened the door; it was a chick I've never seen before.

"Is Wendy home?" I looked around behind her to see if anyone was there.

"Yea, in the back to the left " The chick moved to the side.

I couldn't help but notice the tiny circle marks on her forearm and that she was highly drunk; I walked inside the house and started walking to Wendy's room slowly and cautiously.

I got to the back of the house unharmed but creeped out; I knocked on her door and told her it was me; she took her sweet time getting to the door, "What do you want, ruby. " I looked over to find Wendy half-dressed. I tried not to look and acted like I didn't notice, " My dad wants to know if he can have a cig " I leaned against the wall and waited for her to answer, " No," she looked mad

"Please, if I go home without a cigarette, I'm dead, Wendy, and you know that it's already bad, just please, please don't have me walked out of here without that stupid cancer stick." I put my hands together like I was getting ready to pray