26

Jimin pov

I should call Grams.

It was the right thing to do, but the sound of her voice telling me to kill my mate echoed too loudly for me to push it aside.

It was one week until the full moon, until I mated my alpha, and then...

then I would confront her and figure out how to move on.

She had only called once since that night, and I'd ignored it.

I grabbed a shoe box off my bookshelf and opened it up to see all the cards my grams had sent me over the years.

I fished through them and found one that had a baby on the cover.

It was a full-moon warning, and, at the time, I hadn't understood what she was even talking about.

But now, seeing the stork holding the baby, I kind of got it. I opened it up and the left side was still empty, so I jotted her a quick note, telling her I still loved her but I had to live my life.

I folded it up and set it on the counter then put the box away.

I filled out an envelope from a box of blank ones she'd given me years ago—Just in case you want to write back—and slid it inside.

It wasn't ideal.

Nothing would be in this case.

But it was something I could do.

I grabbed my car keys and headed to the diner where I was meeting
Jungkook.

He had wanted to pick me up, but I needed to get new tires, so I figured it best to only make one trip into town.

I scented him before I saw his car, parked behind mine.

My ability to scent and recognize sounds had grown exponentially since my first shift, and it still caught me off-guard.

Of course, he wasn't going to let me meet him. Silly alpha.

"I thought I was meeting you."

I tucked the envelope into my mailbox and put up the little flag.

"As if I would let you drive while needing new tires."

He tossed me his keys. "Your keys?"

Who would argue with a gentleman like that?

"Thank you." Not that I wanted him to have an issue on the road, but they really weren't that bad.

I was just super careful about my tires, and I had a coupon.

"Lunch then tires?"

Or two lunches. I hadn't decided which.

"Sure."

We drove in our separate cars, and as I pulled into the diner, he drove down the road a little bit to what I assumed was going to be the tire shop.

I wanted to follow him, to tell him to cut the garbage, but baby wanted to eat.

So I climbed out of the car, walked inside to the table in the corner, and ordered pancakes, a burger and fries, onion rings, and a chocolate shake all before he walked in the door.

"You are dumb." I rolled my eyes at him as he sat across from me.

I slapped the coupon onto the counter.

He stared at me, then the coupon, then at me and broke out in glorious laughter.

"I don't see what's so funny about paying more."