FORTY-ONE

As soon as Steve left Melany and Bucky's place, he immediately called Sharon.

He groaned, rolling his eyes when he got her voicemail. "Fuck." He muttered, swinging his leg over his bike as he sped off down the road. As he drove he couldn't stop thinking about what he just tried to do to Melany.

What the fuck is wrong with me? Why'd I do that? He thought.

He tried calling Sharon again as he stopped at a red light, wanting to chuck his phone into ongoing traffic when it went to voicemail again. He sped past the cars in front of him, needing answers.

Around Valentine's Day, when Nat and Steve were sneaking around, he had gone to see Sharon. She said she wanted to see him about some stuff regarding Hydra, and the continuous fall.

As the day went on, they got to talking less about the serious stuff, and Steve opened up about how he felt; everything with Melany, Bucky and Nat. Sharon was already getting tired of him complaining. Sharon graciously gave him a purple pill. He didn't have a chance to ask what it was before she shoved it past his lips, forcing him to swallow it.

"What was that?" He asked.

"Just something that helps with stress." Was all she said.

It was about a week later that Nat and Steve broke up, his feelings for Melany escalated, and everything else up to now. Ever since he took whatever she gave him, he can't get Melany out of his head, he fucked things up with Bucky, and he fucked things up with Nat. He truly liked her – his brain just told him otherwise.

He wanted to know what the fuck he gave her.

As he rounded the corner to her apartment building, he skids into a spot before turning off the engine and rushing into the building. He rushed up the staircase. As he was about to pound on the door, it swung open. Sharon stood there, a grin on her face as she saw how distraught Steve was.

"Hey, Cap." She said, giving him a wider smile.

"What'd you give me?" He rushed out as he pushed past her and into the apartment.

"What are you talking about?" she asked, the grin still on her lips as she turned to him.

"The pill. You gave me a pill." He was out of breath from rushing, and the adrenaline coursing through his veins.

"Oh!" She laughed slightly, crossing her arms over her chest. "Hydra had a lot of weird experiments from the 70's and 80's." She paused, waiting for him to react, when he just stared at her, she continued. "The one I gave you, was basically a dopamine enhancer." She explained dryly, walking past him.

"What does that mean?" He asked, rolling his eyes as she brushed past him.

"It means," She paused, "the way you feel when you're around Melany, the pill causes your brain to release more dopamine, which means..." She paused, "you're fucking obsessed."

"Yeah, I can tell. Do you even know what I've done?" He groaned, sitting down on her couch as she stood above him.

She shook her head. "Why does it matter?"

"Because I've basically ruined my relationship with her and Bucky. I tried to fuck her twice in the last month, Sharon." He spat before continuing. "Why'd you give this to me?" He still didn't understand her motive, and he was too focused on how to fix it to contemplate it.

"Now you know how I felt when you chose her over me, and Nat over me. You left me, Steve." She spat, getting angry at the fact that he didn't understand.

"Sharon—" He tried to talk, but she interrupted him.

"No. I wanted you, Steve. You promised that when I got back from Hydra we would work things out. You wanted to fucking propose!" She said the last bit through her teeth as she tried to fight back tears.