FOUR

It's only been a few days since Bucky showed up at the compound. He was keeping his distance from Melany, all while trying to catch up with Steve. He wanted to try and be around the two of them at least so she didn't have to be alone with him. Through the past few days, Melany and Steve have been sharing soft kisses when they could, when Bucky wasn't interrupting. Melany continued to train with Steve in the mornings so she could stay on her toes just in case. Her reflexes were getting faster. It was going fine until she began to notice Bucky constantly trying to keep his gaze on her. She caught him a few times, as did Steve.

Steve, being the man's friend, thought nothing of it since only until recently has he gotten much social contact with people. Melany on the other hand thought it was odd. She didn't trust him. She could tell he was a good guy, but what would happen if someone said the words to him? Would he break? Or was he actually cured?

She wanted Bruce to agree to do the experiment earlier than in a few weeks, but both he and Tony told her no profusely. She was annoyed by them, and the fact that Tony was hanging around more. She knew part of it was to make sure nothing was going to happen to any of them if something happened to Bucky, but still; she found it annoying.

Melany was currently getting ready for the day after her early training with Steve. Her damp hair laid in a bun on top of her head. She put on a fitted black t-shirt and dark jeans with her converse. She stepped out of her room on her phone and bumped into someone.

She felt a metal arm grab her waist. "Sorry." She heard Bucky in front of her. She looked up at him and into his steel-blue eyes. A chill ran up her spine at the cold of the metal on her clothed waist. A smiley grin was on his face. "You okay?" He asked her, taking his hand off her.

She stepped away from him, nodding. She looked at the floor, trying to avoid his gaze. He kept his eyes on her, he tilted his head to try to get a good look at her face. Her blue eyes were flicking to every tile on the floor, and she had her lip between her teeth. She heard him speak, but it didn't register. Her heart was pounding, she was still very uncomfortable around him.

"Melany," Bucky spoke.

"Yeah?" She asked, looking up at him.

"I asked if you wanted to grab some coffee with Steve and me? He sent me up here to get you." Bucky admitted.

"Oh," She smiled. "Sure."

He nodded, turning around and walking around the staircase downstairs to the kitchen area. Melany followed a few steps behind. She smiled and relaxed when she saw Steve in the kitchen, making a fresh pot of coffee for them. She stepped behind him, wrapping her arms around his waist.

"Hi, honey." Steve smiled, turning around in his grip. He kissed the top of his head. He noticed Bucky sitting across the kitchen island on his phone, his jaw clenched. "You okay, Buck?"

Bucky nodded. "Yeah, just trying to catch up on everything."

Steve nodded, rubbing Melany's lower back as he spoke. "Did you ever listen to that Marvin Gaye album I mentioned?"

"It was okay?" Bucky sounded unsure. "I like '40s music, Steve."

Steve smiled and furrowed his brow. "I love it. You don't?"

"I didn't say I didn't like it." He looked up from his phone, looking at Steve. He glanced behind Steve to the counter. "Coffee's ready." He stood up, shoving his phone in his pocket. He grabbed three mugs from the cupboard, handing them on to Melany and Steve.

They all filled their cups, drinking in the caffeine. "What do you have planned for today, Mel?" Bucky asked before he took another sip.

"I'll be in the lab most of the day with my Dad. He's trying to work on something for Tony. Some new suit modifications I think." Melany explained.