TWENTY-SEVEN

It's been a month and a half since Steve returned from Siberia with the red book. It's also two weeks before Christmas. The four of them were starting to get on each other's nerves given the fact they've been held up in Tony's cabin for almost half a year. The book is currently in a high security vault at the Avenger's Tower in New York. Tony figured it would be smarter to have the book and Bucky at two separate locations in case there was a chance that HYDRA was going to infiltrate the facilities.

The girls rarely went out, Steve went out on missions, and it was apparent that Nat was really starting to like him. She grew nervous any time he left, and this of course annoyed Bucky because she would never stop talking about him. Melany was irritated by the fact that he was even bothered by the fact that Nat was talking about Steve, but they managed to talk it over before they both exploded in each other's faces.

Due to Steve being out on missions every few weeks, Nat is now the caretaker for the engagement ring. She hasn't been as stealthy with it as Steve was, but Bucky knew Nat wouldn't let Melany find it. He was still sure about wanting to propose even if it wasn't soon.

He wanted to know she was sure about him as well before popping the question.

Bucky knows that Melany cares for him, and that she loves him, but there's a small part of him that thinks she's going to come to her senses after everything he did as the Winter Soldier and leave him. He hasn't expressed this much to her since he doesn't like talking about it. Melany has no suspicions about her feelings for Bucky, and she tries to remind him as often as she can whether its physically or verbally.

The team visited them for thanksgiving, which was not a traditional thanksgiving. Thor brought some Asgardian Liquor, resulting in a very drunk Nat and Melany. Scott was there, living up the party, along with Sam and Tony. It was more of a potluck than a Thanksgiving. Loki, fortunately, kept control of his mischievous antics this time around, and there was no game of truth or dare. Bruce obviously came to see Melany, he's missed her so much. Bucky didn't get the chance to talk to Bruce alone, but Bucky knew he didn't want to ask until he knew Melany was also ready to make that next step. He was okay to wait for her.

The weather quickly got cooler throughout the last few weeks. Their wardrobes changed from light long sleeves to heavy sweaters and jeans. Melany was currently cuddled in a blanket on the couch, with a cup of hot coffee pressed to her lips as she watched a movie. Nat was on the phone with Steve in their room – seeing as he was currently on a mission, and Bucky was somewhere around the cabin estate for a morning run.

Around 30 minutes later, Melany looked back from her movie as she heard the door upstairs open and close. Nat had a huge smile on her face as she walked down the stairs. "What?" Melany asked, turning back to her movie.

"Nothing." Nat said almost singing.

Melany hummed in response, reaching for her mug. She rolled her eyes when she realized it was empty. She wrapped the blanket around her as she walked back to the kitchen. "Is it something about Steve?" She asked as she poured herself another cup.

"How many cups of coffee have you had this morning?" Nat asked - disregarding her questions - as she leaned against the counter next to her.

"Don't worry about it." Melany started. "Probably too many." Melany smiled, taking a sip. "Bucky had a cup, and I've had..." She paused to mentally count. "Four, counting this one." She said pointing to her mug.

Nat rolled her eyes as Bucky walked in. He was taking deep breaths and sweat was dripping down his face. "Tell your girlfriend to stop drinking so much coffee. Her heart is going to explode." Nat chuckled.

Bucky smiled softly at the girls, catching his breath. "She'll be fine." He muttered, walking over into the kitchen. He opened his arms to bring Melany in for a hug.