TWENTY-ONE

Nat, Steve, Melany and Bucky followed Tony into the house. It looked small but was rather spacious on the inside. The front led them into the living space - it was an open floor plan, so the kitchen, living room and dining area was all visible from the front. A staircase toward the back of the house led to the two bedrooms and two bathrooms. The master bedroom was slightly bigger than the other bedroom. Both had king beds, and decent sized closets. Both bedrooms also had dressers and bedside tables. The house was modernly decorated, and Tony had FRIDAY programmed into the house like in the tower.

"Mel, Buck, you two can stay in the master bedroom." Steve said after Tony gave them a brief tour.

"Sure." Bucky said, taking their suitcases upstairs.

Melany took a deep breath, looking around the house. "Thank you, Tony."

"Of course." Tony replied, giving her a smile. "It's the least I could do for Banner."

Melany chuckled, crossing her arms over her chest. Nat nudged her side, and tilted her head outside to the front porch. Melany followed her out.

"What's wrong?" Nat asked after she closed the front door.

"Nothing." Melany looked down, keeping her arms crossed.

"You're tense. You're never tense." Nat sighed, turning to Melany. She didn't respond. "Is it Steve? I can see if someone else can stay with us."

"It's not Steve." Melany interrupted. "Well, kind of." Nat furrowed her brow, tilting her head in confusion. "It's both of them. Together."

"They're best friends, Mel. I know it's been rough for them since you and Bucky got together, but—" Nat was interrupted by Tony walking out.

"Don't let my appearance stop your gossip." Tony paused. "But she's right, Banner. Steve and Bucky have been best friends for years, he'll get over it." Tony walked back out to the Quinjet as he spoke. "I'm gonna send a car down here for you guys when you need it. Stay safe so your dad doesn't have to go green." Tony joked.

He walked onto the Quinjet, closing the door and quickly flying off back to New York.

"Don't worry about it. You're happy with Bucky, right? Apart from this morning." Nat laughed a little.

"Of course I am. I just wish Steve would be okay with it. I miss our friendship before we tried dating." Melany admitted.

"Then tell him that."

"I doubt Bucky would like it." Melany sighed, uncrossing her arms and flinging her arms on her legs, creating a muffled slap sound due to her leggings.

"Who cares what he thinks?" Nat asked, a little too harshly.

"I just don't think it's a good idea if Steve is still into me." Melany looked inside through one of the open windows. Bucky had come back downstairs and he was talking to Steve. Both their arms were crossed, but they both looked calm. Bucky noticed her movement outside and glanced over at her, giving her a small smile.

She smiled back and turned back to Nat. "The last I heard he was trying to work things out with Sharon." Nat was trying to remind Melany that Steve was trying to move on, but if she was being honest with herself, she saw straight through Steve when Sharon showed up at the compound that morning.

"Yeah, I know. Bucky told me, but there's obviously still some tension between them." Melany looked out into the yard. The house was surrounded by tons of trees and looked like it was kind of in the middle of nowhere, but it was secluded nonetheless.

She gazed out into the sunset as she listened to Nat speak. It was late afternoon, almost night. The jet ride was long, but not nearly as long as if they would've driven. The sky was beautiful as hues of pink and orange danced across the dark sky. The lake in the backyard had tints of the sunset bouncing off it, making it even more beautiful.