TWELVE

The car was silent as Steve drove to meet Sharon with Steve. The drive was going to be a couple of hours, so Steve turned on some soft music to lighten to mood.

"Where were you when I called?" Steve asked, glancing over at Bucky in the passenger.

"I was with Melany," Bucky replied, keeping his eyes out the front windshield.

"How is she?" Steve asked.

Bucky didn't speak for a moment. He didn't really want to talk about her with Steve. "Why'd you ask me to come with you?"

Steve sighed. "Sharon wanted to talk, she says she feels bad about the way she reacted and she wants to apologize." He paused. "I think there's more to it, and I didn't really want to go by myself. So I figured who better to ask than my best friend." He patted Bucky's shoulder and gave him a grin.

Bucky gave him a grin back. "She's great. Happy." He sighed, pulling his phone out of his pocket. "Did Sharon ask you to come alone?"

Steve sheepishly replied. "Yeah..." he sighed. "I just don't want her to get the wrong idea. Even though I'm not with Melany, it doesn't mean I want her back. Especially after what she did."

"Right." Bucky sighed. He saw he had a message from Melany.

Melany: I miss you. :(

Bucky: You excited to see me again?

Melany: Maybe.

Bucky rolled his eyes and smiled a little, Steve noticed.

"Who are you talking to?" Steve asked, jokingly leaning over slightly.

"Mel," Bucky said as he sent her a reply.

Bucky: You'll see me soon, doll.

"She really is happy, huh?" Steve asked, sounding a little sad.

"Steve, I don't wanna talk about this with you."

"I know, but," Steve sighed, struggling to find the words. "I know I should just talk to her, but she wants nothing to do with me. I feel horrible for what I did, but I wasn't expecting her to move on so fast." He admitted.

Bucky sighed, not knowing what to say. He knew what he could say. I didn't mean for this to happen, it just did.

But he did mean for it to happen.

He wasn't going to lie to his best friend.

"You can talk to her if she'll let you." Bucky paused, taking in a deep breath. "And she is happy, Steve. You should want her to be happy."

"I do, Buck." Steve bit back. "I just wish it was me."

"Well, you fucked that up the second you brought Sharon back to the compound. And who are we going to see right now?" Bucky didn't give Steve a chance to answer. "Sharon."

Steve rolled his eyes, gripping the steering wheel a little tighter.

"How much longer till we get there?" Bucky asked, clearly annoyed with the topic at hand.

"Not much longer," Steve replied, just as irritated as Bucky.

Two super soldiers in a closed space and in the middle of nowhere was not a good mix.

Bucky audibly sighed a breath of relief when Steve pulled into a parking lot, parking the car. He saw Sharon not too far from them in her own car.

Steve rolled his eyes, getting out. "Come on." He grumbled before closing the door.