TWENTY-TWO

It's been four months since Mel, Bucky, Nat, and Steve moved to Tony's cabin. Steve had finally grown happy with the fact that his ex and best friend were happy. He no longer felt upset or angry when they were around him together. He was happy for them. This immediately patched up Steve and Bucky's friendship. The two of them trained together, while Nat was helping Mel with her own training since the two of them were around the same stature. This allowed all of them to let out some steam from being stuck in the house for months. None of them had left the house either, in the last four months.

Bucky quickly grew frustrated with the fact that Nat and Steve were right down the hall, and in the house at all. Melany could easily sense his frustration, which only added on to hers. In the last two weeks, the four of them had trained more than they did at the compound probably.

Steve and Nat grew closer than they already were, but Steve assured Melany that it was purely platonic. Although, Melany could tell that Nat had a growing crush from having to share a room with him every night, and it definitely didn't help Nat that he slept without a shirt. Melany assured her that if she wanted to, she would support the two of them. Melany tried talking to Steve about it once, but he quickly shut it down. Melany and Nat both wondered if it was because of Sharon.

Steve hadn't spoken to Sharon since the morning they left for the cabin. She'd tried texting and calling him, but she was left on read or left with an answered phone call. After a while, his voicemail box became full, so the only thing she could do was listen to the ring and receive no answer.

The last four months have been filled with playing board games, watching movies, the girls getting drunk, and Steve and Bucky mending their friendship. Melany also no longer felt weird being around Steve if Bucky or Nat wasn't around for whatever reason. Melany didn't think much of it when the two of them would go around the back of the house and look out at the lake. Melany knew Bucky would never try anything with Nat, and Nat would kick his ass for thinking so.

Little did Melany know, they were planning the best way Bucky could propose to Mel. He was so sure about her, and they rarely fought. They were happy, despite never having sex recently given their circumstances. Nat had been helping Bucky as soon as Steve mentioned that Bucky had a ring. Bucky kept having to move the ring around the house since Melany quickly inhabited 'cabin fever' and started snooping around. Eventually, he gave the ring to Steve for safe-keeping. Bucky knew Melany wouldn't snoop through Steve's things given their history, so he figured with his best friend would be the best place.

It was Halloween, and the four of them decided to have a little celebration among themselves. Nat and Steve agreed to go out and get the supplies they needed. It was Nat's suggestion and Steve quickly agreed to go with her. He needed to get out of there for a few hours. While he loved Bucky and Mel, he could practically feel the sexual tension rolling off them when he walked into the room if they were alone.

"You about ready?" Nat called upstairs from the living room.

"Yep." Steve hurried down the stairs. Bucky and Mel sat in the living room, both of them on their phones.

"Do you guys need anything?" Nat asked, looking between the two of them.

"All the alcohol you can get," Melany spoke, smiling widely at her best friend.

"Yes ma'am." Nat smiled back. Steve grabbed the keys to the car as he walked past Nat.

While they did have a car to use, Nat and Steve rarely went out due to the growing threat of HYDRA. At first, HYDRA almost caught their trail, before the rest of the team took down some bases around Georgia. In the last four months, the team - other than Steve and Nat - have taken down more than 10 bases around the country, and a few on other continents. They were picking up new avengers along their way and adding more people to the team as well.