TWENTY-THREE

Melany was sat in an empty room. Her hands were tied behind her back and her feet tied to the chair. It was silent for a moment before she heard a door open. Two pairs of footsteps walked inside before the door slammed closed behind them.

She heard one set of heavy footsteps coming toward her. Her eyes were covered and she felt like she was struggling to breathe. She felt a sharp pain in her side, and liquid dripping down her shirt. She winced in pain, feeling it again on her thigh. The blindfold was ripped from her eyes and familiar blue eyes stared into hers. They were different though, there was nothing behind them but darkness.

He stepped away from her, pulling the knife from her leg. Bucky stared down at her, his jaw clenched. He stared down at her, his metal arm glistening in the very little light that shined in the room.

"Soldat?" A man spoke out from the darkness behind him.

"Govot otvechet," Bucky replied. She could only assume it was Russian.

"Kill her."

He pulled out his gun, pointing it at her head.

"Bucky, please." She looked up at him with tear-filled eyes. "Don't do this, please." She begged. She heard the gun cock.

"Who the hell is Bucky?" He asked, still staring blankly down at her.

The gun was taken from his hand, and he looked confused. "With your hands, soldier."

Without hesitation, Bucky walked over to Melany as she was strapped in the chair, and swiftly wrapped his metal hand around her throat and pressed up into her jaw. She struggled to breathe before she could feel her neck about the snap.

Melany shot up, covered in sweat and she breathed deep. She put her hand on her chest, looking around the room. She was in her shared room in the cabin with Bucky. He was sleeping soundly next to her. His arm was stretched out underneath his pillow toward her, and he was laying on his stomach. The sheets only covered his lower half so she could see his bareback. She sighed, carefully pulling away from the arm that was laid across her legs since she'd sat up. She grabbed a pair of loose shorts from her dresser and slipped them on.

She'd had nightmares like this before, but never this graphic. Usually, it was just him lingering or getting violent with other people, but never targeting her.

She stepped silently out of the room and walked downstairs. She slowly started to remember the events of last night as she looked at her gauzed knuckles. She made it to the living room. Pepper laid on the couch, and Tony on the floor next to her. Clint was crammed onto the love seat in the living room as well. She carried on into the kitchen and grabbed a glass from the cupboard. She spun to the sink and filled the glass. She heard footsteps approaching, and figured it was Bucky.

When Steve turned the corner she grew nervous. "Oh, sorry." He sighed, stepping past her to grab a glass for himself. "What are you doing up?" He whispered, looking over at her.

"Nightmare." That was all she said.

"Want to talk about it?" He asked, leaning against the counter next to her after filling his glass. She shuffled slightly away from him to turn to him.

She shook her head, taking a sip of her water.

"I did want to talk to you though." He said, looking down into his own glass. She continued looking at him, waiting for him to continue. "I shouldn't have kissed you tonight. It was out of line." He admitted. "I miss you. I miss being around you, even if it's just as my friend." He paused, taking a deep breath. "I know you're happy with Bucky, and I'm happy for the both of you. I just want you to know that it's been hard for me to move on; I know our breaking up was my fault, but I want you to know that I still love you. I always will." There was no hint of jealousy or anger in his voice. He stared into her eyes as he spoke. "I think Bucky is what's best for you. He is what you deserve. The only thing I want is to be there for you and to support you. I honestly, just want to be your friend. Is that okay?"