Ch. 29 - FRAYED

Sawyer's outfit:

▪︎ 🖤 🏳️‍🌈🕯▪︎

▪︎ 🖤 🏳️‍🌈🕯▪︎

Chapter Twenty-Nine⊚ Frayed ⊚

Chapter Twenty-Nine
Frayed

Sawyer sat on the bus with her back against the window, her feet up on the bench and Anakin laying on her legs. Scott and Stiles sat behind her as Stiles was quizzing on words and their meanings. Them and the rest of the track team were all on the way to a track meet and the timing couldn't be worse. 

"Yo, Scotty! Hey, yo! Scotty? Still with me?" Stiles said, making Scott start paying attention to him again. "Yeah, sorry. Uh, what's the word?" He asked and Stiles looked down at a vocabulary app on his tablet, "Anachronism." 

"Something that exists out of its normal time." Scott said and Stiles nodded, "Nice! Okay, next word- incongruous." He said. "Uh, can you use it in a sentence?" Scott asked and Sawyer hummed slightly as she glanced over at them. 

"I can! It's completely incongruous that we're sitting on a bus right now, on our way to some stupid cross-country meet, after what just happened. Incongruous." Sawyer says before glancing around slightly, "Out of place, ridiculous, absurd." Scott said, making Stiles nod. 

"Perfect. Okay, next word. Um... Darach. Darach. It's a noun?" Stiles says slowly, making Scott give him a look, "We have to talk about it sometime, okay? And we're gonna be stuck in this thing for, like, five hours, so why not?" Stiles said and Scott just turned to the window and the passing landscape. "Next word... Intransigent." 

"Stubborn, obstinate." Scott says and then the bus hits a bump making him sit up with a gasp, "Oh, buddy, you okay?" Sawyer asked and Scott nodded, but with a pained expression. 

"We shouldn't have come. I knew it- we shouldn't have come." Stiles said while shaking his head, "We had to. There's safety in numbers." Scott said, making Sawyer scoff slightly. "Yeah, well, there's also death in numbers, okay? It's called a massacre.. or bloodbath...Carnage... Slaughter...Butchery... Wow, that's..." She said, trailing off when she and Stiles noticed Scott barely listening, chest rising with labored breaths. "All right, I'm telling Coach that-"