Toast of the Town

(Opening shot: the city skyline during the day.)

Narrator: The city of Townsville, (The exterior of Townsville Hall; zoom in slowly.) which is run by the Mayor. Yes, the Mayor... ...the tenacious man with the rock-steady fortitude and stability of a concrete pillar, who's able to keep his fair town running like a well-oiled machine. Yes, he is the very backbone of Townsville... (menacingly) ...unless he doesn't get his way.

(On this last, cut to a close-up of a toaster in the Mayor's hands.)

Mayor: (from o.c., shaking it) Mayor want toast! Mayor want toast!

(Pull back. The little man stands before the Professor, who is at a desk in his lab at home.)

Professor: Mr. Mayor, please understand, (Brief pull back to show entire lab.) I am a scientist,(close-up'; he pats Mayor's head, then toaster) not a repairman. You need to take your toaster to a factory-authorized service center and have it professionally serviced by a qualified technician.

(On the end of this, the Mayor starts to boil over; cut to the Professor, who claps his hands to his ears and recoils from the force of the next line.)

Mayor: (from o.c.) MAYOR WANT TOAST! (Pull back to frame both.)

Professor: (grabbing toaster) All right, all right! I'll have a look at your toaster. But then I've got to  get back to my experiments.

Mayor: Oh, goody, goody!

(His back to us and the Mayor, the Professor hunches down over his desk and goes to work. A brief silence; the same is true after each of the Professor's lines in the following. He gradually becomes more and more annoyed.)

Mayor: Is it done yet?

Professor: No.

Mayor: How about now?

Professor: No.

Mayor: Now?

Professor: No.

Mayor: Now it's done, right?

Professor: (swiveling to face him) No, no, no, it's not done. (sighing) Look, I don't really know what I'm doing, so it's gonna take a while. Why don't you just wait over there, and I'll let you know when I'm finished.

(He gestures away from the desk at the appropriate moment; after he finishes, he turns back to the work.)

Mayor: (dejectedly, walking o.c.) Oh... Ok.

Professor: (turning his head in that direction) And don't touch anything! (Back to work.)

(Cut to a countertop, the camera pointing out from it toward the lab. The Mayor's hands ease up over the edge, and he pulls himself into view. Close-up of a large, flashing red button with a warning label: "DO NOT TOUCH." Pull back to show him standing by it.)

Mayor: Ooh... What does this button do?

[Note: This is Dee Dee's trademark line on Dexter's Laboratory.]

(He presses the button; instantly the area starts to shake and an alarm goes off. Cut to the Professor at his desk as the Mayor returns to it. This part of the lab is not trembling, but after a moment the view is wiped out by a massive explosion from o.c.—set off by the Mayor's curiosity. Cut to a corner of the room as the aftershock dies down. The Professor's chair rolls slowly into view, carrying him and the Mayor—both covered in soot and smoking somewhat. The chair stops at the wall, and its occupants sit in stunned silence for a few seconds.)

(The tension is broken by the Mayor jumping off the Professor's lap.)

Mayor: Whee! Do it again! Do it again! (The Professor grabs him.)