Supper Villian

(Opening shot: the city skyline in the wee hours of the night.)

Narrator: The city of Townsville—an average city with average suburbs and average neighborhoods with average family homes.

(Dissolve to a sample of each particular milieu as it is named and stay on the house.)

Narrator: Here we start with an average family, the Smiths.

(An alarm clock begins to beep, and the sky lightens into morning. Inside, a fist thumps heavily on top of the clock—a digital model showing 6:00. Pull back; the fist belongs to a bald man, with a long, banana-like nose, squinting groggily and sitting up in bed. This is Mr. Smith. His wife—darkly tanned, very light blond hair, sharply pointed nose, features bunched up in the middle of her face—is fast asleep next to him. He picks up a pair of square eyeglasses from behind the clock and puts them on; his weary, bleary gaze does not change.)

(Around him, the scene dissolves to the bathroom shower as he washes up, then to the bathroom itself as he brushes his teeth while wrapped in a towel. Next he is in the bedroom, dressed for work and straightening his tie.)

Mrs. Smith: (walking across behind him) You'll never guess what's for breakfast.

(She carries a basket of laundry as she goes. She sounds insanely perky considering the early hour, and we see that she has a pronounced overbite. Dissolve around him to the kitchen table. To his left sits his daughter, a pudgy girl with a long blond ponytail and features that almost look drawn on. His son—green-dyed hair, braces, his mother's teeth—sits on his right.)

Mrs. Smith: (leaning into view) Pancakes!

(She sets down a plate stacked high with them and ducks away. A pause.)

Son: This family stinks!

(Around Mr. Smith, the scene dissolves to a head-on view of him in the driver's seat of his car as he pulls out of the driveway. Next we see him at his job, which consists entirely of pressing two buttons to fill and seal jars of food—it might be mustard—as they pass him on a conveyor belt. Now he parks the car in front of the house and steps out. His expression has not changed one whit from when he woke up. Behind him, the Professor is doing a bit of hedge trimming.)

Professor: Hiya, neighbor! Just trimming the hedges and feeling great.

(Mr. Smith starts toward his own front door on the end of this line; the two houses are in fact situated right next to each other, and his sports a winding front walk. It takes him some time to reach its other end.)

Professor: My life's going perfect, ju-u-ust perfect! Oh, I think I'll sing the "My Life Is Perfect" song. (singing, lounge style) My life is so perfect... (Mr. Smith gets inside and slams the door.)

(Inside, the camera follows him as he trudges through the house. His wife addresses him as he passes her.)

Mrs. Smith: Hi, honey, here's your paper. (He takes it from her.) Oh, by the way, Julie has a few friends over— the Powerpuff Girls!

(Her last three words prompt the sort of reaction that normally arises when one grabs a live wire. He stops in his tracks for a moment; then his face assumes its previous weary expression and he slogs along again. He passes his daughter, Julie, and the girls. They are playing jacks.)

Julie: Look, Daddy, we're playing jacks!

(He reaches the couch; his son is hanging lazily off it and watching TV. The camera stops, and he flops down next to the boy, who looks at him with anything but filial respect. A pause.)

Son: I hate you!

(Mr. Smith opens the paper and begins to read, but an announcers voice cuts him off.)