83| A Long Walk To Pittsburgh: Part 1

Late at night, Shawn was sitting at the kitchen table at the Matthews' household. Eric had invited him over and insisted on buying dinner. Eric had been trying to figure a way how to explain to Shawn about what he had seen at Chubbie's an hour ago.

"Eric, listen, don't think I don't appreciate a good T-Bone, but I would've been plenty happy with a double Chubbie Burger." Shawn said as he bit into the steak.

"He gets steak. I get cold grilled cheese. What gives?" Morgan questioned, sitting at the table beside Shawn.

Eric walked over behind Shawn and patted his shoulders. "Well, Morgan, I just that our brother's best friend, with his interesting life, he deserves a hearty meal."

"You don't think my life's interesting?" Morgan wondered.

"Morgan, did I just do something nice for Shawn?" Eric questioned.

"Yes." Morgan answered.

"Do I normally do nice stuff for Shawn?" Eric asked.

Morgan shook her head. "No."

"Why would I do nice stuff for Shawn?" Eric wondered.

"Because something terrible happened between him, Cory or Zoey." Morgan answered.

Eric forced out a chuckle. "Eat your grilled cheese."

Shawn placed his fork down and looked up at Eric. "So I would be correct in assuming that... this wonderful meal is actually one of those condemned-man, death-row, last-meal kind of things. But that can't be, because there's no cake." Eric reached to the cake holder in front of him and pulled the top off, revealing a chocolate cake. Shawn frowned and stood up. "Dead man walking. Should we do this in the living room."

"We could do it there." Eric said quietly. The two walked into the living room. "Look, I'm only telling you think because it's the right thing to do."

Shawn crossed his arms and pursed his lips. "Don't tell me."

"No, Shawn, I think you gotta hear this one." Eric said in a serious tone.

"Alright, then tell me. As long as it doesn't have anything to do with Cory and Zoey. I should be okay." Shawn told him.

Eric hesitated for a moment. "Okay. Um... have you ever heard the expression...."

Shawn watched as Eric faked being stabbed in the chest before falling back onto the couch dramatically.

"Well, you have my attention now." Shawn said, sitting on the couch beside Eric.

"Shawn, I saw Cory at Chubbies. He was there with Zoey. She seemed upset. They were hugging and he kissed her." Eric announced.

Shawn's mouth parted in shock. "What?"

"He kissed her." Eric repeated.

"What?!" Shawn demanded. He stood up and walked over to the phone.

"Nothing happened at all." Eric said, trying to ease the tension. "You know, normally I love tell you or Cory bad stuff, but this one's killing me. Shawn, I know how upset you must be."

"Eric, listen, nothing happened at all, right? You said so yourself." Shawn sneered. He dialed Zoey's house number into the phone and held it against his ear. "Zoey, it's me. Are you there? It's 7 o'clock. Pick up the phone. Where are you?"

When he didn't get a response, Shawn hung up. He began pacing around the living room with his jaw clenched in anger.

Eric sighed. "I had to tell you, right? You understand I had to tell you what I saw?"