One Day

The bright red bell hung on white bricked wall rang loudly across the school building as students filing out of their classroom clustered around, avoiding bumping into anyone in their way.

As soon as Roxina quickened her pace, her hair was bouncing in a soft rhythm. She reflected about what Alicia and Danny were talking about a few days ago. Out of the blue, she dragged her name into their boiling argument and she wasn't even involved in the crazy debate they're in. She groaned at the scene. By the time she twisted the cam of her locker, Marceline called out to her.

"Roxy."

"Yeah?" She turned her head.

"Do you have time?"

"Maybe for a while. Why?" She casted her longing glance but creased her eyebrows when Marceline looked behind her shoulder oddly, thinking someone might listen to their conversation, "I can't talk in public. We have to be alone," she urged.

A folded paper flew out of her locker, landing on the ground between them. Roxina raised her eyebrows while Marceline only stared in silence. She wanted her leg to step on and shoved it away but Roxina was too quick to pick it up.

"What's this?" She unfolded the paper, revealing letters of colours pasted on it.

"I don't know, maybe another stupid love letter from your admirer," Marceline rolled her eyes.

"It said,'meet me in the gymnasium. Find me on the benches.' Who do you think wrote this?" She looked up as a feeling of joy blossomed in her chest. Being with someone who shared their life together is a big yes for her.

She caught a glimpse of uncertainty in Marceline's eyes but dissipated into thin air.

"I," she paused. "Honestly wish I knew," She tugged the strap of her backpack while biting her cheek from the inside.

"Well, I should get going. I'll see you at lunch." A smile was the last thing Marceline saw before she walked to her right. She only released a sigh while massaging her temple roughly. Out of the things she had done, this became the worst of the worst. If that was a real thing.

Seeing the wooden doors with the bold word gymnasium, printed in a laminated paper, Roxina pushed forward to spot a group of cheerleaders—blue and cheerleading uniforms clothed them—practicing their cheering routine for the upcoming football game. Her eyes searched for the secret admirer sitting on the benches. But as soon as her eyes caught someone, her heart dropped.

Once upon a time, a princess was waiting for her knight to arrive. Day after day. Night after night. Hoping to come to her, knocking on her door or standing outside to claim her love.

But everything was already flushed down the toilet bowl.

Only to come face to face with a redhead who stared at the cheerleaders before landing on her. Her eyebrows knitted as she pressed her thin lips. She only stood, waiting if she's coming towards her. Alicia walked down the benches like royalty with her hands disappeared in her jean pockets.

"Hello, English girl," Alicia greeted, mocking her accent.

"What do you want, Alicia?" She wrinkled her forehead.

"Just a favour, don't bother me if I am with him."

She sighed heavily. She was hoping for her to change her act, realising her mistake and moving on. But she's still standing, praying she will win the battle.

"You're still on this stupid game?"

"You really think you're this naïve to not notice his feelings for you?"