Who I'll Become (1)

Leo smiled as he ran a finger across the tattoo under his left ear. He traced the old, scarred skin from the black sunflower, then the newer, raised lines of a small, colorful flower and bud.

"Are you ready?"

Jack had Ellie in his arms, the skirt of her white, cotton sundress fluttering in the summer breeze. Leo pulled at the hem of Jack's grey suit vest, then the sleeve of his white dress shirt, straightening the wrinkles.

"Thanks."

He only nodded in reply and Jack did the same to his black vest, leaving a hand pressed to his chest. Beaming, Jack added, "Now you're ready."

A simple white arch was set up on the bank of the back creek, where a justice of the peace stood patiently underneath. Only two chairs sat on the lawn, one for Finn and one for Jade, their only family and witnesses. There had been a few guests watching from the glass sitting room, but they ignored the strangers. This ceremony was only for them and they didn't care about anyone or anything else.

Setting Ellie down on Finn's lap as the two walked to the arch, Jack gave her a quick kiss on the head. Finn flashed him a sweet smile. In a dress shirt and pants, clean-faced and soft pink hair pulled up in a stubby ponytail, they were somehow both handsome and beautiful. Jade reached out and grabbed Leo's hand as he passed, giving it a quick squeeze. He squeezed back, smiling at his soon-to-be sister.

Jack hadn't lied about not letting him go. He meant it literally, following and clinging, refusing to be out of sight for even a moment the entire two weeks since Leo returned. Jack's words were always comforting and reassuring after a nightmare, but Leo knew there was over a year of insecurities hidden inside. As he had before, he masked those fears with bright grins and sparkling eyes. Leo could read past that now.

Driven by his uncertainty, Jack rushed the wedding along. Details weren't important and there weren't guests to invite. Everything had to happen instantly, like Leo could disappear at any moment. As if a promise made through vows was somehow more permanent than the others. In response, Leo only ever smiled and agreed, giving in to whatever Jack wanted. It was a simple thing to say yes. As long as they were together, he didn't care where, when, or how.

Standing across from Jack, with the officiant's voice soft in his ear, Leo's attention focused on the man before him. His smile was gentle and loving and his cheeks were pink, warmed by the summer sun. The light reflected in the green, making the vibrant color shimmer. His dark red hair sat neatly piled on his head, with a few strands loose and brushing his face in the breeze.

Since birth, Leo's life had been a mess. Many times over the past year, he had run through of all the terrible decisions he'd made and things he'd done, desperately wishing he could take them back. Now, looking at this beautiful man in front of him, those feelings of guilt and regret disappeared. All he could do was smile. Whatever happened in the past, whatever disaster his life had been, following that path brought him to this exact moment and he was suddenly thankful for everything.

"The rings," said the woman next to them and Jack waved Ellie over.

In her hand was a plain, wooden ring, almost identical to the one he wore. When he learned Leo had made it, a skill picked up in his year away, Jack insisted he should do the same. It was yet another random worry. He couldn't possibly buy new rings, since the one Leo gave him was too special, but they also couldn't be mismatched. After a week and uncountable failed attempts, he managed to get this one right.

"Who would like to speak first?" the officiant asked, glancing between the two.

Leo took Jack's hand, his thumb gently spinning the ring already on his finger.

"I'll go?" he suggested, getting a soft nod from Jack. "I've thought a lot about this and I'm still not sure what I'm supposed to say. There are so many things I don't know. Being a husband and a father, being a companion and a friend... I still don't know what that means. I don't even know who I am as a person, so how can I be someone for you and Ellie?"

Jack smiled brightly at him, that constant grin pushing his warm freckles into his eyes. It wasn't a forced happiness that covered fear or insecurity. While Leo had many doubts, there was no hesitation in that gaze, and he let his own smile grow.

"It feels a little selfish to stand here and make promises. To say I'll do things and feel things that are still new to me. So I'm only going to make one promise. Whatever happens, whoever I become, every part of me is yours. I didn't exist before now, so your world is my world. Whatever you need and want, I'll live the rest of my life trying to give it to you."

He chuckled as Jack's eyes watered, reaching out to wipe away a tear. "I'll make mistakes and I'm sure I'll always make you cry, but from now on, hopefully most will be tears of joy."

There was sniffing from the lawn. Leo turned to see both Finn and Jade tearing up.

"Why are you crying too?"

"When did you learn to speak like that?" Finn asked through choked whimpers, rubbing a hand across their face. "I always knew you were soft, but... God. Who knew all of this was hiding behind those walls?"

Turning back to Jack, Leo wiped another tear. His fingertips lingered on his cheek.

"I can't take credit for that. I don't know if this was already trapped inside somewhere or if it's something new, created after I met you. Either way, my smile, my laugh, my happiness, my love... It's all thanks to you. How could I not promise you my life when it was yours from the start?"