Everything's Okay (1)

"Dada?"

Ellie's finger poked at Sam's cheek, bringing him out of his daze. He turned to look at her. Her wide, curious eyes were staring, wondering why they were standing at the desk in silence. He had woken to those big eyes watching him in his sleep, then to a tight hug around his neck. Apparently, like Squirrel, Ellie was aware of his hidden misery, and those eyes hadn't left his face since.

From the look on Jade's face, she was wondering the same, but definitely not in a concerned way. It was awkward and he cleared his throat.

"Jack?"

"He wasn't feeling well this morning, so I said I would cover for him." Her words were sharp and unfriendly and she scowled at him. "Nice to see you finally decided to return."

Sam's chin dipped, shifting Ellie in his sore arms. Last night had been a mistake in so many ways and his body was paying for it.

"I ran into some... difficulties."

"Well, I would hope so," she snapped back. "I would hope you didn't abandon your three-year-old daughter in a strange place for a week and half on purpose."

"Leave him be, sis." Jack's voice was hoarse and he stepped behind the desk. "I'm up. You can go to work."

His eyes were dark and puffy, his face pale, and he looked like he hadn't slept. He kept his head low, avoiding any gaze from Sam. It made Sam's stomach turn. His sister folded her arms across her chest and clicked her tongue hard against her teeth.

"Are you kidding me?" she shot at him. "You were furious! And now, all of a sudden, everything's okay?"

Still not looking up, Jack nodded. "Yeah. Everything's okay."

She wasn't expecting that. The timid response or the abrupt and honest forgiveness. She glared at him, then looked closer, her expression and tone turning to concern.

"Are you actually sick? Have you been crying?"

"I just didn't sleep well," he said, waving her hand away as she tried to pull his face closer. "Maybe I drank too much."

Sam sighed. This was entirely his fault and there was nothing he could do to make it better. He set Ellie on the counter and she leaned toward the register. Her big eyes had been fixed on Jack since he arrived and the curiosity seemed to be mixed with worry.

"Dada?" She pointed at his sunken face, looking back to her father for an answer.

He took her hand and lowered it, then smoothed down her wild hair. "You need to learn not to point at people. It's rude. A few more words would be helpful too." Kissing her on the head, he kept her fingers snugly inside his and looked over at Jack. "Jack just doesn't feel well right now."

Ellie nodded her understanding and he gave her a pat. At least she wouldn't ask any questions. He wasn't glad she didn't speak. It would be wonderful to hear her babbling away like the rest of the toddlers around her, but not getting a "why" after everything was helpful at times like this.

"Do you have a piece of paper and a pen?" he asked Jade, who reluctantly handed them over. She wasn't planning to listen to her brother and was still mad. Which didn't bother him, since he deserved at least that much.

After sketching an image, he set the paper on the desk. "I know you're angry, but I have a request to make. If you ever see anyone with this tattoo, they're not allowed near Ellie and you don't know where I am." Drawn on the paper was a line with a half-sun rising above it. "It will be under the left ear-" He pointed to his small, sunflower tattoo. The evidence of his past was covered, but the memories would never leave. "-like this."

Jade looked at the sketch, then up at Sam with a frown. He ignored her and spun the paper around.

"If you see anyone with this setting sun, you need to hide my daughter and tell me immediately."

"You're not really who you say you are." She sounded both angry and worried, her green eyes glaring at him.

That was obvious at this point, so he simply replied, "Not entirely."

Her frown deepened and she crossed her arms with a huff. "Then why should I listen to this? Maybe I should just-"

"These men raped and killed Ellie's mother. They're dangerous."

She froze and Jack reached out to grab her arm. "Do as he says, okay?"

Before she could respond, there was a panicked heaving next to Sam. Ellie clawed at him, keeping her wide eyes fixed on the paper. "Shit." He grabbed her by the waist and her arms and legs wrapped around him, tightening in fear.

"Sorry. I'm sorry." Rubbing her back, he rocked gently and made soothing sounds. "It's just a picture... Just a picture..."

Ellie shivered against his chest, but her breathing calmed and the whimpering quieted. If there was one thing she was skilled at, it was out of sight, out of mind. Though he wasn't sure that was a good thing.

He looked back at the siblings, Jade still in shock and Jack only watching sadly.

Pointing to the paper, he said, "They do not see my daughter. And you tell me."

Jade's head bobbed rapidly, the color drained from her face. Jack squeezed her shoulder, crumpling the paper and tossing it into the trash behind him. After a few moments of awkward silence, he turned to Ellie, who had returned to normal, resting against Sam with her usual vacant stare.

"Maybe it's time to go to preschool, then?" he asked his sister, not taking his eyes off the girl.

Jade jumped. "Oh, crap!"

She checked her watch, then fumbled around to grab her things. Sam shot a glance at Jack. His eyes were already fixed on the computer, ignoring him, so he followed his agitated sister out of the house.