A Short Happiness (2)

"Movement?"

Squirrel hummed in his ear, a little more serious. "A lot of it."

The two had intensified their tracking since the day the scouts showed at the house. While most of the focus stayed on the decoy trails in the city, the Suns weren't taking any chances. It wasn't a surprise. The moment the Suns found a lead, they both knew how this would end.

"I think the Boss, or Bosses, are getting impatient. They're tired of this search." Squirrel was less cheerful than usual and he could hear the concern in their delicate voice.

"It was only a matter of time." He felt unexpectedly calm. He wasn't as worried as he thought he'd be, but he wasn't happy it was starting so soon. "We planned for this. Nothing else to do but let it happen."

Squirrel blew out a sad sigh and Sam could picture their elegant face covered in a rare frown.

"Are you sure about this?"

He had thought about it endlessly, running through every possible outcome over and over. There were consequences to staying in Mirror Falls and he was ready to face them.

"I'm positive," he said without hesitation. The situation hadn't become easier, but acceptance came with clarity. He was done fighting against the things he wanted and ready to fight for them instead. "They're going to find me. This is the only way to end it and protect them."

"You sound so calm." The voice in his ear grew softer. Squirrel was in this fight with him, but they were also his only friend. His family. It was a heavy burden to force on them. "I hate it."

There were a few moments of quiet, just light breathing in his ear, then Squirrel asked, "Are you going to tell him?"

Another thing that had run through his mind a million times.

"No. I want the time we have left together to be happy. Maybe he'll resent me for it, but we already agreed. I do the worrying and he stays optimistic. I want to keep it that way."

It was selfish and Jack wasn't actually optimistic, no matter what he said. But that innocence of his would be ruined either way. He wanted to make it last as long as possible.

"Mags..." He knew this tone well. Squirrel had used it more times than he could count. "You could just run away. I can make you all new identities and you can go somewhere else."

"And run forever? New names, new towns, new schools, new lives. How long before they give up and we can stop running?" It was the same conversation every time, always with the same conclusion. "No more hiding. In a few weeks, Ellie will be four. She deserves better than that. She deserves a real name and a normal childhood. And this is Jack's family home. He should stay."

After a resigned sigh, Squirrel's tone grew more determined. "You're right. We've planned this to perfection. As long as they play their part, it'll work."

"Yeah."

There was a long pause, neither fully convinced but both already decided.

"Still talking?" Jack asked, cutting through the silence as he shuffled up next to him. "Should I leave?"

"No. We're done." After giving him a quick kiss on the cheek, Sam turned his attention back to Squirrel. "Let me know when and I'll be ready."

There was no response and he hung up, stuffing the phone in his back pocket.

"Quiet time?" Jack smirked and he nodded, lifting him off the floor.

* * *

"Question and answer. My turn." Jack was laying on top of him, sweaty and smiling through his bright green eyes.

He had decided that after sex was the best time to ask questions, determined to learn more about the real person behind Sam and the Magpie. They took turns asking and answering, usually about stupid little things, like favorite foods or hobbies. Sam was at a disadvantage when it came to that, but Jack liked when he didn't have a response. It meant they could find out together.

Sam grunted his approval, running his fingers through the long, red hair hanging above him.

"When did you become an orphan?"

He didn't care how personal a question was, but Jack often shied away from them. He was too embarrassed to ask, so they only came out when he was ready to listen. Plus, since there were very few good moments in Sam's past, the answers usually made him cry.

"I'm not an orphan."

Those green eyes, already sad from asking, were now swirling with confusion. "But you said you were in the foster system."

"I was," Sam replied with an apathetic nod. "But my parents didn't die. They abandoned me when I was seven." He spit out a laugh thinking about it. "They left me at a fire station drop off, like I was an unwanted baby. I wandered around for a while, but the police found me and I was put in the system."

"At seven?" Jack's voice shook and Sam began rubbing his back in advance, ready for the tears. There were always tears. "What kind of shitty parents do that? They should be in prison!"

Based on the few memories of his childhood he hadn't suppressed, it was entirely possible they'd ended up there anyway, without his help. He'd never thought much about it, since they'd never thought much about him.

"I told the police I didn't remember my name and wouldn't tell them anything else. There wasn't anyone to arrest."

Jack lifted himself up at that, anger mixing with the sadness. "Why wouldn't you say anything?"

He took in his partner's innocence for a moment, his thumb gently tracing the line of freckles. He didn't want to have this conversation, but he wanted Jack to know everything about him.

"I thought they might try to bring me back. And I thought I deserved it."

Jack punched him hard in the shoulder. Sam grabbed his wrist before he could do it again, kissing his hand.

"I was only seven. And I was born with this expressionless face and cold personality. They weren't good parents, but I wasn't a good son either."

"You're not cold or expressionless," Jack shot back. "It's their fault you felt that way."

Sam pulled Jack's face down enough to kiss him. Loose hair brushed against his cheek and neck. Finn always said he was emotional and that they could tell what those emotions were, but he assumed the kid was crazy. He knew he had feelings – everyone feels something – but they were few and dull and nothing like what Finn saw.

Now, here was this man, this random stranger, who could see them too. Not only did he see them, he created them. Feelings Sam had only heard of or hadn't even realized existed. He didn't know what he was missing before, but now he didn't know how he would survive without them.

A finger smoothed his thick eyebrow. "What are you thinking about?"

Jack smiled soft and warm above him and his breath caught in his throat. It was a beautiful sight.

"Maybe I didn't deserve that back then, but I'm not sure I deserve this either."

Jack flinched. He knew that upset him, but he couldn't help being honest. Those dark green eyes were somehow gentle and intense at the same time and Jack smiled again.

"I love you."

His eyes widened and Sam could only stare, sure he had heard him wrong. Jack's smile brightened and he leaned down to kiss him.

"I really love you. And you deserve it."

The room was quiet, just the sound of their light breathing mixing together. Sam's chest grew tight and his cheeks felt warm. His heart beat a little quicker. Suddenly, Jack's smile left and his lips parted in surprise.

"Oh..." he said under his breath.

"What?"

The happiness returned, more playful now, and Jack reached out, placing a finger on his lip.

"You're smiling."

Sam's fingers joined him and he touched the stretched corner of his mouth. At the feeling, he smiled wider, then let out a barely audible laugh.

"Yeah... I guess I am." He pulled Jack in tight and kissed him. Moving close to his ear, he whispered, "I love you too."