So, Then, I Didn't...

"Squirrel, I have to go. He's awake."

Hanging up before his friend had time to protest, Sam looked over from his chair at Jack. His eyes were wide and bloodshot and his lips parted. Then he peeked under the blanket. A look of relief spread when he saw he was still fully clothed.

"What am I doing here?" he asked, scanning Sam's expressionless face. "I remember drinking and talking, and then..."

He stared into his hands, as if they would somehow contain his lost memories. A hint of panic knit into his brow as he tried to think.

"And then your door was locked, so I had to carry you up here."

Putting his phone back in his pocket, Sam stood and stretched his arms. His large body crammed into that stiff chair didn't make the most comfortable combination. Every muscle was twisted and tight.

"What?" Jack's pitch went a little higher and his eyes grew a little wider. "Did I say anything? Or... do anything?"

Sam shrugged, not moving from the corner. "You told me I smelled good."

"WHAT?"

It came out as more of a hiss than a shout and Jack turned red from his neck to his ears. If Sam was the kind of person to find someone cute, this would probably be one of those times. Instead, he decided it was best to end this and leave Jack with as much dignity as he could.

"You didn't say anything," he said, calmly scratching at his scruff. "That was the only clear thing. Then it was just random mumbling."

"Ah..." Jack didn't sound convinced, but he also didn't seem like he wanted to know more. If Sam wasn't bothered by it, maybe he didn't need to be either. Or at least it made it easier to pretend. "So, you slept in that all night?"

After a quick glance at the old, wingback chair, Sam nodded. "I don't need much sleep and I can sleep anywhere." No need to throw his sore body onto last night's mess.

"Comes with the job?" Jack asked with a smirk, trying hard to move past the embarrassment.

He pointed to the space next to him. "There wasn't room on the bed."

Jack looked to his side and saw Ellie, still curled up close to him, sleeping soundly. It made him jump, but then a small smile appeared on his face as he watched her. In that moment, the awkwardness and worry faded away. Walking over, Sam perched himself on the end of the bed.

"She woke up once and saw you, but it didn't seem to bother her and she fell back asleep." He scratched at his scruff again. "She really does like you."

That was more of a curious statement than a compliment, but Jack didn't notice. Instead, he nodded, then turned to stare at him, his dark green eyes searching. "So, then, I didn't..."

"Didn't what?"

Sam knew what he meant, but nothing good would come from that conversation. Best to avoid it.

"Nothing."

With a light shake, Sam woke Ellie. She let out a breath, reaching her hands up to him, and he lifted her to his lap. As always, her arms wrapped tight around his neck and he stood.

"There's water next to you," he offered, gesturing toward the end table as he checked his watch. "I have to feed her and get ready for work."

Without waiting for a reply, he carried Ellie out of the room and shut the door behind him, leaving Jack to think through last night on his own. For him, it wasn't important enough to worry over. If Jack wanted to dwell on it, he could do it alone.

After going through his morning routine, including shaving his face smooth for the first time in months, Sam headed out with Ellie trotting obediently behind him. He was glad to have an excuse to leave the house. It seemed like his drinking buddy didn't remember anything after their conversation and the large chug of vodka. Hopefully it would stay that way. If he was that alarmed from a normal chat, Jack didn't want to remember the things he had murmured into his ear.

* * *

As expected, the day progressed awkwardly. The few times Sam went back to the house for food or a change of clothes, Jack ducked into another room or dodged him by spinning and hurrying away. Maybe he guessed wrong. Maybe he did remember everything. Either way, it didn't matter. They couldn't spend every day like this.

Dinner was quiet and uneasy, with Jade doing most of the talking. It was childish and Sam was done being ignored. Once his sister was out of sight, he grabbed Jack by the front of his collar. Half carrying and half dragging him, he marched through the glass sitting room and out the back door, then pushed him onto a low chair. Ellie followed and stood at his side, her big eyes calmly moving between the two.

"What the hell are you doing?" Sam asked, arms folded across his chest. He kept his tone steady and didn't raise his voice. Other than his choice of words, there was nothing to indicate he was upset.

Shifting on the chair, Jack rubbed at the back of his neck. "Wow. I didn't know you could actually do that to someone. I thought it was just in movies." Sam stood large above him. It was clear he wasn't in a joking mood, so Jack shrugged. "I'm embarrassed, so I was avoiding you." Finally making eye contact for the first time since that morning, he added, "Why? Are you mad?"

"No."

Jack huffed. "Why would someone who isn't mad drag someone else outside like that?"

"I'm not mad. I'm annoyed."

"Well, I'm embarrassed." He looked away and picked at his jeans, pink seeping into his his freckled cheeks. "I don't know why. Everyone in this town knows about me. I'm practically famous. But you just called me on it, like it was nothing, and then I got so drunk..." He sighed and looked back up. "I don't know. It was embarrassing."

Sam unfolded his arms and lifted Ellie. She stared at him with dull eyes, no longer interested in whatever was happening here and ready to move on.

"That's ridiculous," he insisted. "Don't be embarrassed."

"Emotions don't really work that way..."

"They should."

Jack huffed again and stood, heels rising off the deck to get closer to his face. "Then don't be annoyed."

"You're embarrassed over nothing," he argued. "My annoyance is justified. I have to live here right now and you're making it awkward. Get over it."

Without saying anything else or letting Jack speak, Sam turned and carried Ellie back into the house. He didn't know why it aggravated him so much. It wasn't like they had to interact beyond house business, but being ignored made him uncomfortable and he didn't like it.