The Way Home (2)

"Welcome to The Glass House."

Jack stood behind the wooden desk, leaning on his elbows and smiling his usual bright smile. It was almost the same image as the first day Sam walked into the house, except this time, there was love behind those green eyes.

Am I dreaming? Or, maybe I'm dead...

Inching up to the counter, Sam stared into his sweet, sparkling eyes. When they were face to face, Jack let out a small chuckle.

"Not gonna say anything? Do you know how long it's been?"

His expression seemed cheerful but his words sounded angry. Sam glanced around the room. It didn't look different, but when he turned back, Jack had already reached middle age. His hair was cut short and laugh lines and wrinkles had begun to form on his face. The smile was gone.

"Jack?" The soft, melodic voice drifted over from behind. It was both familiar and not. Sam looked over his shoulder to see a young woman, no older than twenty, coming down the stairs. "Jack."

Jack turned his gaze away, smiling again, and gestured for her to join him. "What are you doing awake?"

"No sleep." She rubbed at her big, blue eyes, still too large even for her adult face. When she made it to his side, Jack gave her a firm hug. At this distance, Sam could tell she had been crying. Her eyes were puffy and red and Jack rubbed her back. "Dada..."

Jack made soothing sounds, the same ones Sam used to make to calm his daughter. "I know," he said in a low voice, his eyes beginning to water.

"It was selfish, Sam." There was another voice from behind and he spun. The younger, long-haired Jack leaned against the railing of the stairs. His arms folded against his chest and there was nothing bright or loving in his eyes. "You've always wanted to die, haven't you? You've always been ready. This was just an excuse. Ending your life and calling it a sacrifice, like that somehow makes it better."

Marching forward, Jack wore an almost hateful scowl. Without thinking, Sam stepped away until his back hit the counter. "You're gonna release your video and have your epic Magpie death, leaving the few people in the world who love you behind." The tone was like nothing Sam had heard before and it broke his heart.

"No." As if a hand had released his throat, he could finally speak. He coughed at the sensation. "I never wanted to die. I was never planning to die."

"Liar." Jack sighed in disappointment, then his expression shifted to indifference. "Not that it matters. You're gone and you aren't coming back."

Sam shook his head, feeling panic seize him. When he tried to reach out, Jack was somehow always out of reach, and when he turned to the desk, the others were gone. The house was empty and quiet, not even the creak of a floorboard or the rattle of old pipes. His breathing hung heavy in the silence.

"It's not a lie. I don't want to die. I don't want to leave..."

I was ready to die. My death wouldn't have mattered. But I don't want to die. I can't die.

A bitter voice in his head laughed. "Then prove it and wake up."

Everything went black and the Magpie groaned, his pain flooding back in an instant.

"Sir?" The question was faint, then he felt a hand lightly shaking him. "Sir, the ferry has docked. You need to wake up."

His eyes squinted open, but a bright light forced them shut again and a wave of nausea hit him. Even with an empty stomach, he still somehow managed to vomit across the deck, sending bystanders scattering out of the way.

"Oh my God, are you alright? You're very pale. Do you need me to call someone?"

With a second groan, he waved the voice away and grabbed a crutch. His head was light, but after sleeping and throwing up, he felt better. "No, I'm fine... Thank you."

"You're obviously not fine."

He looked up to see a middle-aged woman frowning above him. She wouldn't be leaving him alone, so he ignored her. After a third groan, he reached into his pocket and pulled out a phone. He navigated to the recording that had started everything. This was the moment that separated one life from another and the single most important decision he'd ever make. One he could never take back. Even now, there was still a chance to return. To take his family and run. To live in hiding as someone else, waiting for some distant future where the Suns gave up their hunt. It would be difficult, but they would be together.

Using an app Squirrel had built, he shared the video with the world. It was sent to every news reporter and major agency in the city, and posted across a multitude of social media platforms and websites. The original would stay safely hidden until it was needed, but this was enough for now. Once he was certain the transfer was successful, he tossed the phone over the side of the ferry into the water. It shouldn't be traceable, but he didn't need it anyway.

A gasp escaped the woman and she reached out as if she would be able to catch the device. "What are you doing?"

"I don't need it anymore." Pushing himself off the deck, he avoided the mess he just made and leaned on his crutches to steady himself. "Thank you. For waking me."

"You don't look well. I feel like I should call someone."

He flashed the woman a genuine smile. "I promise I'll be fine. I have something important I need to do, so I won't be dying anytime soon."

"Uh... Okay..." She thought he was crazy. That was good, because it meant she would leave him alone. It also meant she would tell someone, so he didn't have time to linger.

I'm not ready to die. I'm not ready to leave. Just follow the plan and I can go back.

The Magpie pushed himself forward, away from the woman and away from the ferry. It was done and now his only job was staying alive long enough to start a new life. Staying alive long enough to go home.