The Magpie's Visit (1)

After putting Ellie to sleep, her little mind exhausted after a full, tantrum-free day of preschool, Sam let Jack know he was taking a walk and headed out. He was familiar with the type of bullies bothering him. He had too much experience working both with them and against them. Above all, they believed they were invincible and always right. Pride would force them to visit the bed and breakfast, so he had to be sure the Magpie visited them first.

It was less than an hour before he heard laughing and that familiar, arrogant voice.

"Nasty fag. Thinks he can hide from us in that old house."

Stepping out from the dark, the image of the Magpie halted the four men in an instant. He was intimidating during the day, but at night he could be terrifying. Their leader, Mitch, chuckled and strolled out from behind the others. He didn't falter like his friends. Unfortunately, the only thing invincible about him was his stupidity.

"I recognize you," he said with a smirk. "You're that new guy, with the weird little girl."

The Magpie didn't react, even though all he wanted was to rip that smug look from the man's face. "And you're the jackass threatening my friend."

Mitch laughed, the others nervously chuckling with him. They had a few brain cells and weren't sure provoking the giant was the best idea.

"So, you like our art fag? Maybe you're the boyfriend?" Glancing around him, he made a vulgar gesture with his finger and fist. "How'd you make a baby if you only like it in the ass?"

"Eloquent." The Magpie had to be satisfied with imagining the many ways he could cripple this disgusting excuse for a man and let out a sigh. "I don't know what you're so afraid of. I guarantee no man will ever be attracted to you. I doubt many women are attracted to you."

Mitch growled and lunged forward. Before he could even get a fingertip to his target, he spun, his back pressing against the Magpie's chest. A heavy arm held tight around his shoulders and a thin blade tapped at his throat. He squirmed, but any way he moved, the knife only came closer. The Magpie put his mouth to the man's ear as his lackeys stared, frozen in place.

"I'm going to tell you a secret," he taunted, making sure his icy voice was only loud enough for the others to hear. "It would take me two seconds to kill all four of you and an hour at most to make you disappear."

Mitch quivered against him and he huffed. He wasn't expecting a challenge, but this was going to be easier than he thought. Moving his arm, he grabbed the pathetic bully by the hair, then forced a heel into the back of his knee, pushing him down into the concrete. Holding out his knife, he gestured for the others to follow. They obeyed without a fight and he released Mitch, shoving him into his group of friends with his boot.

"I don't want to go through the trouble of killing you," he admitted, pulling a large bottle of high-proof vodka from his coat pocket.

It was more like he couldn't, since he would definitely be the main suspect if there was a murder in Mirror Falls. But it sounded better if there was a possibility he might change his mind.

"Instead, you're going to pass that around. We're going to run into each other on the street, you're going to insult my friend, and we're going to have a little scuffle. We'll spend some time at the sheriff's station and from now on, you'll keep your mouths shut and your hands off anyone you think is different."

He crouched and tilted his head, his deadpan look making the men shrink back.

"Or... I'll track each of you down and have this conversation again." Spinning his thin, black blade skillfully between his fingers, he added, "The hard way."

Snatching the liquor from his hand, Mitch took a large swig, then passed it to the man beside him. They continued until the bottle was empty and the Magpie helped each to their feet.

"Now, let's make it look real."

He gestured for them to hit him, but they froze, their eyes darting around to see who would be crazy enough to actually strike this monster. His expressionless face gradually sank into a scowl, so Mitch took the first swing, landing a punch into his stomach. The Magpie didn't budge.

"The face, asshole."

He sighed, leaning down to make it easier for him to reach. Mitch swung again, hitting him hard in the jaw. He nodded in approval.

"Good. Next?"

* * *

Less than thirty minutes later, Sam tossed all four men through the door of the tiny sheriff's office. A single deputy sat on duty, watching them scramble in.

"Mitch?" the deputy asked, leaning over the counter as the drunken men swayed over to him. They were completely red and could barely stay upright. "What the hell happened to you?"

Sam followed the group in and Mitch attempted to explain in slurred speech how this brutal thug had beaten them up, then forced them to the station. Unfortunately for him, the thug's face was beginning to bruise and his lip was bleeding. Aside from liquored-breath and wobbly legs, the others appeared unharmed.

"Alright, well, whatever happened, you can tell me in the morning after you sleep this off. I'll let Karen know." The deputy tried to hold in a smirk. "She's going to be pissed."

There were groans and mumbles, but the deputy ignored them and ushered the men into the back. Sam waited out of the way. He would have a Karen, he thought, then he wondered why he even knew what a 'Karen' was. It could only be from spending too much time with Squirrel. Leading this little gang is no doubt the only validation he has in life. Sam couldn't care less and still had an overwhelming urge to tear him into pieces.

With them hushed, the deputy returned to Sam, who looked beaten but composed. "Maybe you can tell me what happened, since you seem to be the only one who isn't completely wasted."

"I was walking outside The Glass House when I ran into them. They were drunk and insulting a friend of mine, so I told them to stop." Sam pointed to his face. "They didn't like that. Unfortunately for them, I'm stronger and they weren't very coordinated, so I managed to drag them here."

The deputy nodded, not showing any surprise. Clearly, it was well known that these four liked to attack the town gay. He felt his blood boil again.

"Sam, right?" the deputy asked. He grunted and stepped closer. "You're staying at The Glass House? With that little girl?"

He nodded again, wondering what Ellie had to do with anything. Why did everyone keep mentioning her?

"I know you're new here, but I hope you understand that this is a common squabble between those boys. Has been since they were in school. I appreciate that you want to protect your friend, but it's best to just stay out of it."

It's best to just to stay out of it?

His chest burned and tightened. He wanted nothing more than to reach over and bash this man's skull into the counter. The deputy was older. With his small frame, a single blow would cause permanent damage. Maybe death. Instead, he gave him a passive nod, saying nothing in return.

"I'll also have to throw you back there with them for now, give you a breathalyzer test, get their statements... You understand."

Sam didn't understand, since he was obviously the victim and not the slightest bit drunk.

"But Jackie can sign you out, so I'll give him a call."

"Of course."

Shit. Of course they would call Jack. He wasn't familiar with small-town life and hadn't accounted for drunk tank etiquette. Actually, he hadn't thought through this very well at all.