Stalemate (1)

Sam watched Jack working behind the desk, making him flash that beaming grin every time he looked over. Squirrel was in his ear and Ellie was on his lap, flipping through one of her favorite books, but he couldn't tear his gaze away. It felt like he might forget those green eyes and pink-flushed freckles if he didn't stare long enough.

"And everything else is taken care of?" he asked, hearing his friend finally pause to take a breath.

Squirrel sighed, resigned to the situation but not pleased with it. "It's all done and up to you now."

Their dainty voice was quiet through the speaker. How long had it been since he'd heard their playful teasing? Instead, he got another sigh.

"I'm going to miss you, Mags."

"Don't get all sentimental." He chuckled awkwardly, still not accustomed to making sound when he laughed. "I'll miss you too, Finn. Behave yourself."

"You know I won't!"

Hanging up the phone, he returned it to his pocket, then moved Ellie to the floor. With her trailing behind him, the familiar squeak of her pink rain boots echoing in the quiet, old house, he walked over to the desk and gave Jack a gentle kiss. Jack flashed him another smile in response, but it faded when he saw his darkened expression.

"Is something wrong?" he asked, and the worry in his eyes tore at Sam's heart.

He didn't respond either way, instead saying, "I need you to do something for me."

Jack nodded and took his hand. "Of course. Anything."

"I'll watch the desk. I need you to go into town and stay there until Finn calls. It doesn't matter where you go, you just need to stay away from the house for the rest of the day."

Please, Jack...

In this moment, he didn't feel strong or confident or in control. Every breath from his lungs burned. He was desperate. He wanted to cling to him and beg. But Jack could never know that.

"What? Why?" He knew the answer as soon as he asked and Jack frantically shook his head. "No, I'm not doing that. Don't ask me to do that. You should go."

Sam smiled a gentle smile, a smile he had only found in the last month. Tears began to well in Jack's eyes.

"Seriously... Why do you cry so much?" He kissed him again, a little firmer and a little longer this time, then pushed a loose strand of hair behind his ear. "I'll be fine. But I'll only be fine if you're safe. Okay?"

"Ellie?"

Jack already knew he wouldn't be able to argue with this, but his hand gripped tight enough to cut off circulation.

"She knows what to do," he promised. "When you get back, call her and she'll come."

His daughter was standing calmly at his side, still flipping through her book, not showing any interest in their conversation. He pet her hair. It was difficult to tell if she knew what was happening, but hiding wasn't new to her. He was more worried about the panicked man in front of him.

Jack shook his head again, but didn't say anything, his eyes finally wet enough for drops to roll down his cheeks. Sam let out a sigh and pulled him into his chest.

"I thought we had a deal. I worry and you stay optimistic." He leaned down, kissing Jack's neck. "I may not be the best anymore, but I know what I'm doing."

"Yeah."

It wasn't a convincing response, but all he needed from Jack right now was resignation and submission. It was the only way to keep him safe.

"Now?"

"Now." Sam hugged him tight for a moment, then pulled back, giving him a deep kiss and another small smile. "I love you."

"I love you too."

Jack hurried away, looking back once through a blur of tears to see Sam still smiling. As soon as he was out of sight, Sam crouched down to Ellie and slid her book from her fingers.

"Alright, my little Ellie River." His expression turned cold and serious, knowing his tough girl didn't need any false comfort or reassurance. "I need you to go hide and don't come out until Jack calls you."

"Danger?" Her big eyes were wide and she drew a finger across her throat.

He kissed her forehead. "Yeah. A lot of danger. I'm going to take care of it, so you just need to hide."

She nodded, her blue eyes determined, and he gave her a quick hug before she went scrambling up the stairs. She may not say much or have social skills, but she was smart and had been hiding since birth. This old house would keep her safe.

Stepping behind the desk, he pulled up the hood of his lightweight sweatshirt. His clothes were oversized and loose and he groaned at the heat. July had already begun, but he couldn't give himself away until they were close. After an hour of waiting, the double doors opened and three heavily-muscled men walked in.

Lost Horizon.

He took a quick side glance at their faces but didn't recognize them. They were younger than him, only generic-looking thugs. Hopefully they hadn't known each other. Still, he was infamous in the Horizon. They would have at least seen a picture.

Keeping his head down, pretending to look at the computer screen, the Magpie said, "Welcome to The Glass House."

The men casually approached the desk. He could see handguns on each of their hips, but none were out and ready. He wasn't expecting much of a challenge from these grunts, but the young ones were always sloppy.

"Can I help you?" he asked, busily typing gibberish on the keyboard to avoid eye contact. "Do you have a reservation?"

One of the more arrogant men leaned forward on the desk with a smirk, while the other two positioned themselves to either side behind him.

He kept a laugh to himself. Now you're just making it too easy...