Cold and Emotional

Squirrel scurried across the foyer, rushing toward him. Ripping Ellie from his arms, they spun her around and hugged her tight. "My precious little mouse! Did you miss me?" There was no response, but his friend nodded, smiling wide. "Of course you did! I missed you too."

Giving Ellie a dainty peck on the cheek, they set her down and turned toward Sam, flashing him a mischievous smile.

"Don't."

Squirrel only beamed brighter and then leapt. Wrapping arms and legs around him, they didn't need any help to stay clinging to his body. "Maggie! Mags! I haven't seen you in a month! I know you missed me."

"No, I didn't."

"Liar." They giggled, then dropped lightly to the floor. After smoothing the fabric of their yellow gingham dress and fixing their thin, black headband, they blew him a quick kiss. "But I'll let you think that, sweetie, if it makes you feel better."

With a wide grin, Squirrel spun to face the desk and strolled over, stopping only long enough to scoop Ellie from where they left her. Sitting her onto the smooth wood top, they leaned over to take a closer look at the now stunned Jack.

"Hmm... Mags. Why didn't you tell me he was such a snack?" Resting their chin in their hands, their smile turned playful. "The freckles are adorable."

Sam walked over and wrapped an arm around his friend's neck, just loose enough not to choke them. "It's been a long night and I think Jack wants to be left alone."

Jack's surprise turned to a frown. The dark green in his eyes swirled as he glared at him. "You don't know what I want." Ellie, kicking her legs absentmindedly, turned her head to stare. "Maybe it seems impossible that there's someone in this world who actually likes you and I want to talk to her."

Sam released his hold, putting his hands up in surrender, then folded his arms and backed into the wall by the stairs.

"Wow..." Squirrel giggled, flashing him a playful smirk. "Someone's not pleased with you." The smirk turned to a sweet smile as they looked back at Jack. "And I would love to chat with you, beautiful, but I'm not really a 'her.'"

Jack's eyes widened and he leaned a little closer, which only made his visitor's smile spread. "You're a guy?"

"No?" Squirrel was pleased with his confusion, bending over the desk until their face was in Jack's and he had to step back. "If you're talking about the plumbing, then mine's on the outside like yours. But 'he' and 'she'... I don't really bother with that sort of thing."

Jack gave them a slow nod, then shot a questioning glance at Sam, as if his presence was more puzzling than what this person had said. "So, then... What should I call you?"

Squirrel pointed a slender finger back to Sam. "Maggie calls me Squirrel." Holding out a hand to him, their blue eyes sparkled. "But my name is Finley. Finn for short."

That bright expression and delicate touch, with the charming lilt in their voice - Squirrel could change the mood with only a few words and the smallest of gestures. Jack took their hand and shook, then smiled for the first time that night.

"It's nice to meet you," he said, glancing at Sam again. The frustration wasn't gone, but now it was more curious than angry. "He told me he didn't have any friends. Another lie, I guess."

Squirrel's head snapped around to frown at their large friend. "Another lie? What are you lying about?" The question was playful, but Sam could tell they were nervous he might have given something away.

"Nothing you need to worry about," he mumbled, not wanting to get pulled into this conversation.

"So grumpy." They pouted and turned back to Jack. "I guess I'll have to ask you, then."