Everything's Okay (2)

As they approached the small school building, Sam heard a familiar voice call his name, then saw a familiar figure waving him down. He groaned at both the sound and the image. His morning had been bad enough. He didn't need to add this on to it.

"Sam!" Michelle shouted, rushing to meet him with Becca's little legs scrambling behind her to keep up. "Where have you been? Ellie missed you!"

Is that something I need to explain to you? "I had some business to take care of."

Michelle grabbed his arm and he shifted, lightly shaking her off and placing his daughter on the sidewalk. Dropping her mother's fingers, Becca grabbed Ellie's instead, pulling her into the building. He tried to follow, but a hand was on his arm again before he could move.

"I tried calling, but you didn't answer."

Michelle's frown was playful. Her hand trailed down to his wrist, then released.

Of all the children to make friends with...

"I couldn't use the phone," he replied. It was true but an unlikely excuse for a normal person.

She continued to pout, as if they were in a relationship that required him to answer her calls. "For over a week? You must have been so busy." Her tone turned from upset to sickeningly sweet, then to excited. "Ellie missed you so much, she calls for you all the time now. It's so precious!"

He nodded, wanting nothing more than to tear himself away, but she wouldn't stop speaking. For a second, he found himself glancing at her slim neck, wondering how easily it would snap in his hands.

What the hell are you thinking? he asked himself, his eyes darting back up to meet hers.

"She wasn't the only one who missed you, you know?"

She was back to pouting. Had this worked on her previous husband? Did she flirt this way with every man she met? He was dense when it came to these things, but she was so blatant, it would be impossible not to know what was happening. It might explain why she was divorced.

"We never did get to have that play date," she reminded him, breaking through his thoughts.

"Huh?"

"We agreed to have a play date. For Becca and Ellie." Flashing him a coy smile, she reached out to touch his arm again. Her fingertip brushed him before falling to her side. "Did you forget?"

He slipped away, backing toward the school. "I didn't forget. Send me where and when."

Anything to get the hell away from you right now.

"Really?" Maybe she was disappointed she wasn't able to flirt more for his approval. "Let's make it soon then!"

Already entering the building, he raised a hand over his head in response, then hurried into the classroom. Letting out a relieved breath, his daughter caught his attention. Like always, she sat in the corner with Becca, but she was no longer just staring. As Becca moved, she followed, piling blocks one by one on top of each other.

Her gaze met his and those big, blue eyes widened. "Dada." She pointed at the blocks, staring and looking almost proud.

"I see," he said, walking over to sit next to her. "What are you building?"

"A castle!" Becca answered for her, handing him a block so he could help. He passed it over to Ellie.

She took it and placed it on her wall, then looked up at him again for approval. He pet her hair, amazed at the progress she had made while he was gone. It was all thanks to Becca. He groaned under his breath, knowing this meant he would have to spend more time with her flirty mother.

"How about a red one?" he suggested, trying to encourage her.

With a nod, Ellie reached into the bucket, pulling out a red block and placing it on the wall. There was a light chuckle behind him. He turned to see Jade wearing the same warm smile as her brother.

"Does this mean you aren't angry anymore?"

Jade shrugged, still watching Ellie play. "I don't know how I feel about you. But Ellie completely adores you. And Jack seems to trust you."

"He shouldn't."

"Probably not." Her sigh made it clear this wasn't the first time dealing with her brother's feelings. "That's just how he is. He decides quickly when it comes to people and relationships. He's too trusting, but that also makes him trustworthy."

Sam nodded in agreement and she crouched down next to him, eyes fixed on his daughter.

"She's very intelligent. She doesn't speak and she won't listen to a single thing I say, but she knows a lot. As long as she's playing with Becca, or you apparently, she knows letters, numbers, shapes, colors... She can sort and match, and she can read at least some words. More than she lets on, I think."

He pet Ellie's hair again as she played with her blocks and Jade sighed in frustration, standing up again.

"What can I do?" he asked. "To help her."

Jade huffed out a laugh. "Well, she still doesn't say anything and she doesn't do what I tell her. She only listens to Becca. And Jack some."

The disappointment was heavy in her voice, that the girl was so attached to this expressionless man and her brother, but hardly recognized her existence.

"Speech and language therapy would be best, but..." She trailed off, knowing that conversation would get her nowhere. "Ask her questions. Encourage her to speak. And don't baby her. Let her help you with things, get things, do things for herself... She won't say it, so I want to see what she actually knows."

After another nod, Ellie pulled at his sleeve. She didn't like that his conversation with Jade was interrupting their playtime together. She pointed at her growing building, but he only hummed in response.

"Dada." She pointed again, eyes wide. Though the rest of her face didn't budge, her eyes glared at him.

"How can I know what you want if you don't tell me?"

Letting out a short, frustrated breath, she grabbed a block and placed it in his hand. Then, with a firm tug, she moved both hand and block over her wall.

"Or you can show me, I guess."

Jade sighed next to him, then walked away, giving up the fight for now. Watching her leave, Sam knew she didn't understand the real trauma this little girl had been through. Jade wasn't wrong about therapy, but the situation was too complicated for that. He also assumed there were set milestones children should meet, but that was the least of his concerns. If Ellie could just stay safe and happy, her life would already be vastly improved.