A Short Happiness (1)

Jack shifted to get comfortable on Sam's lap, making Ellie shift to get comfortable on his.

Sam groaned, the combined weight pushing him down into the mattress. "What is this?" he asked. Neither was particularly heavy, but knowing them, this could last a while. Even his muscular thighs would fall asleep eventually.

"Dada Jack." Ellie wasn't concerned with his comfort and stubbornly pointed to the book laying on the mattress. "Book."

With a chuckle, Jack kissed the top of her head. "She told you. Smart girl."

"I meant what is this." He gestured to the two on top of him. "Is it really necessary for you to sit on me like this?"

"Yes, it is. Because I want to. And Ellie can sit on my lap. Everyone wins." Jack leaned back, giving him a peck on the cheek as if that forgave anything he did.

"Except me," Sam grumbled, knowing very well that Jack didn't need to kiss him to be forgiven. He could do anything and Sam would let him.

Ellie huffed in frustration. "Dada Jack. Book."

"Yeah, yeah." Grabbing the book at his side, Sam attempted to find a more relaxed position, but he couldn't move much without pushing the two others off. He groaned, handing the book over to Jack. "Here. I can't read like this. You're better than me anyway."

After another, lighter chuckle, Jack stretched the book out in front of Ellie and began to read. She clapped her hands and pointed in what they both recognized by now as excitement. Leaning back, Sam listened to the expressive tone, with different voices for different characters, and every action exaggerated to make it more entertaining.

Over the past month, his daughter had broken out of her shell. Her facial expressions were still almost nonexistent, but they had learned to read her eyes, body language, and speech to understand her feelings. It helped that she spouted out multiple words now, though it was obvious she knew more and didn't find them important enough to say. She also still didn't speak in sentences. Like her vocabulary, it wasn't clear if she couldn't string the words together or just wouldn't.

Among everything, 'Dada Jack' was her favorite. Since they spent most of their time together, Sam and Jack guessed it referred to them as a pair, but they weren't sure if Ellie also saw Jack as a father. In the long run, it didn't matter. Her voice was light and her eyes twinkled when she said it. Whether she thought of them both as fathers or she thought Sam and Jack were a couple, for her, the meaning was basically the same.

They never heard the word 'danger' again. She had only said it that afternoon, so in her world, it was saved exclusively for Michelle. Jack found it hilarious, but it made things complicated for Sam. Becca was still his daughter's only friend and the only one who could get her to play or take part in their little summer school class. Like a bitter, divorced couple, their two parents were forced into scheduling visitation between the children and dealing with awkward politeness during drop-offs and pick-ups.

After her drunken fit, Sam was still uncomfortable with the woman, but he trusted Ellie's fast-developing violent streak to keep her in line. Jade didn't approve, but he and Jack liked how headstrong and loyal she was, agreeing it was something to nurture, not punish. She hadn't bitten anyone again, so at least that was an improvement.

She also wasn't as scared of men, though she still didn't like them, and her nightmares became infrequent. The three always slept together now, with Ellie snuggled in the middle. Sam could only guess she felt safer than she used to. Trust was a powerful thing. She wasn't perfect and maybe she never would be, but now she had something like a family to help her.

"Are you dozing off?" Jack's voice cut through his random thoughts, but he didn't process the words, nodding absentmindedly in reply. That got him a punch in the arm. "Is my storytelling that boring?"

Turning Jack's head, Sam gave him a soft kiss. "You're the best storyteller."

"And you're being strangely sweet."

If Jack saw it, it was probably true, but he didn't notice. "Am I?"

He wasn't sure if he was becoming more expressive or if Jack was learning to read him, but he had become sweet and flirty and teasing as the weeks progressed. It wasn't anything obvious – Jade could never tell and would constantly shoo them away for being creepy – but it was at least clear to Jack.

"Dada..."

Sometimes it was also clear to Ellie. She didn't understand flirting, of course. But she knew enough to realize that when it happened, Sam and Jack would become distant, interested only in each other, and she would likely be ignored.

"Dada Jack!"

Jack ruffled her already messy waves, grabbing another book. "One more, then it's quiet time."

'Quiet time' became play-by-yourself-so-Sam-and-Jack-can-have-a-drink-or-a-conversation-or-a-quickie time. She loved activities she could do on her own. Since she lived in her own little world and had no interest in anyone outside it, their nighttime ritual was the perfect compromise.

"Color." Her big, blue eyes stared and Jack nodded his approval.

"After this, you can color."

Sam wrapped his arms around them both, pulling them tight to his chest. It was such a simple thing, the odd trio of misfits piled on the bed, but it was wonderful. He supposed family was like that too. Simple and wonderful.

"Dada!" He felt a light slap on the arm and let go with a huff.

"Sorry... Go ahead and read."

As Jack began the second book, his spare phone vibrated on the end table and he immediately grabbed it. "I'll be back."

Ellie was too engrossed in her story to care and Jack nodded, only stopping long enough to let Sam slide out from under them. They both knew who it was. Jack didn't know why or what was said, but he never asked questions.

Once he was down the stairs and in the sitting room, Sam answered the call. "Squirrel."

"Sam." The voice on the other end giggled, light and sweet, always amused by his fake name. "Actually, this is a Maggie call."