Gone For Good (1)

Squirrel was pacing the loft, hands placed on their hips and gaze fixed on their colorful high-tops. "This is crazy. You're crazy. I'm crazy! I can't believe I'm helping you with this."

"You know I can't do it without you."

It had been two days since the botched tracking job. After looking at that boy's body slumped in the corner, he knew he couldn't continue this way. He had rage and misery and guilt and grief, all constantly building inside him. New and awful feelings that he couldn't think away. Sooner or later, he would really would kill someone.

But he also couldn't return to Mirror Falls. Not like this. He needed to create some assurances. Something to turn attention away from the girl and the town, if they had traced him that far. Lost Horizon needed to be searching for the Magpie alone and they needed to think he was still in the city.

"Mags, this is stupid." Squirrel had finished pacing and was staring up at him with a large frown. It was quite possibly the largest frown he had ever seen on that pretty face. "You had a good cover and there was no reason to think they could track you. Now you're just carrying a giant, neon arrow showing them your movements."

The Magpie pat his friend on the head. It was a weird attempt at comfort that came across as condescending. A dainty hand swiped his touch away with a huff.

"We are showing them your movements," he explained.

He had been out of sorts, sometimes out of his mind, but he had thought this through carefully. It had to be perfect to work and it had to work for him to go back.

"There will be no doubt I was in the city, without a little girl. By the time they figure out the rest, the trail will be cold." He leaned down and stared back. "Unless you're not confident in your skills."

"Tch. I'm a damn genius." There was no doubt about that and he gave Squirrel another pat, this time getting a sigh in response. "I still think it's crazy. It's an unnecessary risk."

"Finn... When I leave this time, I'm not coming back. I'm not just covering tracks. I'm ending this."

He couldn't remember the last time he used their actual name. Squirrel froze. They stared at each other, Squirrel trying to read him and him not wavering. After a few coughs and a pause to fill their lungs, they rested a delicate hand on his arm.

"You're serious about this... Your feelings are that strong?"

"I have no idea what I'm feeling," he admitted. "But I know I can't do this anymore. I don't want to do this anymore."

Removing Squirrel's hand, he pulled them into a loose hug. Other than Ellie, he had never intentionally hugged someone before. It was awkward, but also warm and calming. The chaos was replaced with trust, reassurance – a belief that things might turn out alright.

"Don't let the past consume you. Finish college, get a good job, have a real life. Squirrel was always the alias."

There was sniffling muffled against his shirt and a small fist punched him in the side. He held a little tighter, then felt arms wrap around his waist, returning the embrace. That trust went both ways and the Magpie experienced another first. He was grateful for this relationship.

"I can't believe you're leaving me," Squirrel choked out between staggered breaths. Their forehead pressed into his chest. "I'm so proud of you. You sound almost human."

The Magpie huffed out a laugh. "You're not old enough to be proud of me. If I disappear and never release this video, the Suns will give up their hunt. We'll be cautious for a while and then it'll be over."

His friend nodded and took a deep breath, then pushed free of the strong hold. After wiping a sleeve over wet cheeks and composing themself, Squirrel smiled mischievously up at him.

"First thing's first," they instructed, playful again. "Ready to beat up some thugs?"

* * *

Another body dropped at his feet and the Magpie let out a heavy breath. He hadn't expected such a large group, but the bounty on his head was high and Squirrel had made his location clear enough that even common nobodies were able to track him.

Those were already lying on the ground behind him. The conscious ones still moaned or squirmed, but none dared to get back up. Whatever the reward, they were no match for someone like the Magpie. To him, the strongest among them were a nuisance at best. They all knew they were lucky to be alive.

The more experienced hunters always hung back. It was better to steal a captured prey or take him after he grew tired. This also wasn't the only rumored location. Thankfully, he hadn't seen any Lost Horizon. Perhaps they had taken different bait and this would be easy.

As he contemplated how long he should stay, two brawny men sauntered in from the alley entrance. The one to his left pulled a Glock Nine from the back of his pants. Unlike the rest, he looked like he knew how to use it.

What the hell...

The bounty was only good if he was brought in alive, but he could still be crippled. Walking and talking were two completely unrelated things and the Suns only needed his mouth. Judging from the looks on the thugs' faces, though, these two were cocky. Probably free agents like him, probably experienced, but most likely not involved with the Rising Suns until now. From what they knew, the Magpie didn't usually kill and he never used guns, so it was safe to assume he was unarmed. Who couldn't take an unarmed man?

He raised his hands into the air and the attackers' pace quickened. It looked like only one had a weapon, but he couldn't be sure. He spread his fingers open and pretended to surrender.

"Are you sure this is the Magpie?" the gunman asked, sneering at him. It was only partially directed at his partner, meant to be a jab at the vulnerable thing in front of him. "I thought he was supposed to be tough. Pathetic."

In the brief moment of distraction as his partner snickered from behind, the Magpie shifted forward and grabbed the man's wrist, jerking it to the side. A bullet grazed his shoulder and he winced, but it didn't slow his movement. With his other hand, he grabbed the barrel of the gun and twisted, shattering the man's trigger finger and freeing him of his weapon.

Ignoring the loud cry as the bones popped and splintered, he tugged hard at his wrist again. The movement spun his heavy frame and without hesitation, he shot into the pit of a knee. As the man screamed in pain, his partner started to run, but the Magpie was too fast. The next bullet hit the fleeing thug in his upper calf.