408: The One Where They Bury A Friend

TONI POV:

"Can you say hi?" I ask Jason. He babbles a little. "JJ, can you say hi?" Cheryl ask quietly. "Bud, say hi!" I say quietly. "Hi." Cheryl and I gasp. "Yes! That's right!" I smile. "Oh! I'm so proud of you baby." I say happily. He giggles a little. "Hi!" I say quietly. "Hi!" He says back. I look at Jason. "Hi." I say smiling. "Hi." He says quietly. I smile. "I think babies learn to talk to tell us to shut the hell up." Cheryl says quietly. I look at her annoyed. "Why did I marry you?" I ask quietly. "Because you love me. No matter how much I annoy you." She says quietly. "Yeah, I guess." I say smiling. I hear the phone ring. "I'll get it." She says before getting up and getting the phone. I look at Jason. "Hi!" I smile. "Hi." He says quietly. "Can you say mama?" I ask smiling. "Hi." He says smiling. "I'll take it." I says smiling. Cheryl walks back into the living room. "What's wrong?" I ask her. "Um... Sweet Pea, he was in an accident." She says quietly. "I don't know the details, I don't know if he's gonna be ok or anything but Fangs called to tell you to meet him at the hospital." I nod.

I walk into the hospital room. "What happened?" I ask Fangs looking at Sweet Pea. "Motorcycle accident." He says quietly. I take a deep breath. "Will he be ok?" I ask him. "No. Um... if he survives, he's gonna be paralyzed for the rest of his life." He explains. "They don't know if he'll survive?" I ask him. "No, he's barely hanging on." He whispers. "The doctor said to talk to him and that we should keep it positive." He says quietly. We both go and sit down next to the bed. I look at Sweet Pea. "Ah! I don't really know what to say to you." I say quietly. "Remember when we joined the Serpents together?" I ask smiling. "I didn't have much of a choice and you lost a bet. I remember you being scared shitless. You did though, I had to coach you through most of it, but you, you did it, all because we were drunk and you don't know how to say no to a bet." I tell him. I take his hand. "Dude, you have to make it through this, you're my best friend, I don't know what to do with myself if you're not around to smack some sense into me." I tell him.

I walk into the house and close the door behind me quietly. It's late, I don't know if Jason is awake or not. I take my shoes and jacket off. I put my keys in the key dish thing. I walk into the kitchen. "I'm home." I say quietly. "How is he?" Cheryl ask quietly. "Ah! Not well, they can barely keep him alive. They don't think he's gonna make it through the night." I tell her holding back tears. "Toni..." I shake my head. "Is Jason asleep?" I ask walking over to her. "Yeah. I just put him down." I nod. "You ok?" She ask quietly. "I said goodbye to him." I whisper. "I'm kinda just waiting for the call from Fangs." I tell her. She nods. "Why didn't you stay?" She ask quietly. "I can't." I whisper. "It's too hard." I tell her. "Also, I need to start packing." She looks at me. "I have to go to Ohio, FP needs some more hands and he called me and some other serpents. I can't say no." I explain.

I look at Cheryl. "I don't want to do this." I tell her. "I know, we're still young, you shouldn't have to bury your best friend yet." She tells me. "Do you think he's at peace?" I ask her. "Yeah." She nods. "I don't want to do this." I say quietly. She nods. "I don't want to do this, get on a plane and be away from my family for a week after burying my best friend!" I explain holding back tears. She looks at me.

I look at Jason. "I'm gonna miss you buddy." I smile. "Don't learn any new words until I get back. Ok bud?" He smiles. I kiss his cheek. "I love you." I say quietly. I stand up straight and look at Cheryl. "I'll call you when I land and get my stuff." I tell her. "I don't want to leave." I whisper. "I'll keep my phone on at all times, call me if you need to talk, I'm home with Jason, the only times I can't respond is when I'm putting Jason to sleep or feeding him." I nod. "I don't want to go." I whisper. "You'll be ok. It's only a few days, then you're home." I nod. "Ok." She smiles pulling me into a kiss. "I love you babe." She whispers. "I love you too." I smile.