18 Chapter 18

RECAP: at the end of the previous chapter, Dahyun told her mom that she loves Sana. Unfortunately as we found out, she didn't take it remotely well at all. Her mom called Miss Fransen, the leader of a christian organisation, to send Dahyun to a school where she learn how to behave "correctly". One thing lead to another, Dahyun ran away from home by escaping from her window and with only her backpack on her. She ultimately found shelter at sana's house and the rest is yet to be seen.

-------

After explaining to sana and her dad what happened with my mom, they thankfully immediately agreed on letting me stay there overnight.

"Goodness, you look like you haven't even eaten yet! Do you prefer cereal or some pancakes?", her dad asked.

"I-I've actually never had pancakes", I say embarrassedly.

"You never had pancakes??? You're missing out! Here, let me make you some, sana loves them a lot too! Plus there's a first time for everything!"

As soon as he said that, "first time", sana gave a little smirk at me and we tried not to laugh, which failed horribly and probably only made it even more obvious.

After eating, we went upstairs to her room and watched some tv to distract ourselves a little.

When the show ended, I decided to check my phone. It was the first time I did it after I ran away from home so I was really scared.

"Hey, you want me to check it for you?", she asks me as she lays her hand on mine.

"It's-it's okay, I think I can do it. Thank you so much tho.", I hold her hand a little tighter.

We both stare at my phone as if it was the most important thing:
"*17 missed calls from Mom*
  *23 messages from Mom*
  *4 messages from bro*"

"Your mom seems to be really worried about you…", she says.

"Yeahhh not so sure about that. After what happened last night I don't think she sees me as her daughter anymore, to be completely honest with you haha."

"Wanting to send her own child away for something like that really is- wow. Hey you should just ignore her for now, okay? She needs to understand that being gay is nothing bad and that she can't do anything about it, all she can do is accept it, whether she wants to or not."

"Yeah you're right, it's not my fault… wait let me just check chae's messages tho."

"'Dahyun, your mom just texted me saying you ran away??  Where are you? She seems to be worried sick about you and wants you to come home'
'Are you okay? Did something happen between you guys?'
'You know you can tell me anything, right?'
'Please text me when you see this...'"

"What should I do?", I ask sana in despair.

"Maybe check your mom's messages now", she says as she gently puts her hand on my thigh.

"Yeah I guess you're right…", I let out a deep breath before checking her messages.

"'DAHYUN!!!'
"YOU BETTER COME HOME NOW, DONT MAKE ME COME GET YOU
THIS IS NOT HOW I RAISED YOU TO BE, WHAT HAPPENED TO MY LITTLE GIRL?!
YOU ARE SUCH A DISAPPOINTMENT AND A DISGRACE TO THIS FAMILY.
COME HOME, IMMEDIATELY!!!"

I stopped scrolling down and just gave up.

"Oh my gosh Dahyun, I am so so sorry… hey, don't let her words get to you, you hear me?? You are NOT a disappointment."

"What if I am though? She's called me that so many times, I don't know what to think nor do anymore…"

She grabs my chin and holds it high. "Look at me, please. I am SO sorry she kept repeating those words to you, to the point where your mind starts believing them over what you really are. Listen to me, you are not a disappointment, okay? Heck man, you are a miracle… my miracle. And if she doesn't see that then she should go to the eye doctor, seriously."