102 | when night falls, dawn still rises

this is what autumn feels like

SEPTEMBER EIGHTH,TWO THOUSAND AND TWENTY ONE

SEPTEMBER EIGHTH,
TWO THOUSAND AND TWENTY ONE

13:28 in the afternoong

SEPTEMBER TASTED LIKE ashes, but one thing about it was that it insisted. Softly, it insisted. The golden blanket that was the sky encapsulated the world, letting the leaves feel its warmth one last time before they fell.

Remember how it feels, the sun whispered. Remember my warmth, remember my love.

She spoke to the trees and the people.

"Where should I put this?" Sora questioned as he stepped through the threshold of his new house. His soulmates had agreed to move in with him (after much deliberation and tense arguments); they told him one night a few months back, sat him down and everything, stared into his eyes as they announced their decision. Sora remembered every detail of that night like it was yesterday, could recall it to this day. His soulmates watched him closely. They looked both hesitant and hopeful.

Sora wasn't stupid— he knew what he was asking. Trust me again. I won't let you down.

He was confident he wouldn't. The past sat on his shelf, framed, a reminder of his mistakes. He would glance at it every night to remind himself he was not broken. He was not weak.

He could do this.

And, more importantly, he would do this.

(There was a difference between could and would. This was a choice).

So, when he entered the house with a large cardboard box in his hands, turned around, and witnessed this house they chose all together, Sora felt his heart lift up. It was beautiful.

And it was theirs.

"What does it say on it?" Oikawa called from the kitchen, busy by the sound of his tone. Sora could hear the rustle of tape being ripped apart.

"Uhh—" Sora angled his head and read the block letters on the front. "Bedroom one."

Oikawa rolled his eyes. "Then put it in bedroom one, duh."

"I don't know which one that is!"

"The big one."

As if that was helpful.

Sora made his way to the second floor, and the staircase opened into an open space with various doors lining the different walls. His own bedroom was the one at the back, Rin's was right opposite his, and his soulmates had the adjacent bedrooms. A living space connected the bedrooms, decorated with large furniture pieces and bright paintings. The trio of paintings he and Mikayo commissioned was framed and centred in the middle of the back wall.