033 | in another life

to heal a wound, you need to stop touching it

JULY SIXTH,
TWO THOUSAND AND TWELVE

11:26 in the morning

"I CAN'T BELIEVE they're making us do two exams for English," Ryota complained, pacing around the front of Sora's desk, a petulant pout on his lips. He threw his arms up in the air. "Why do we even need to know English?! It's not like I'm leaving the country!"

"It's part of the curriculum," Sora responded, looking down at his workbook, taking the time out of his lunch break to review the notes he made. It was exam season right now. Sora needed all the time to make sure his grades were at their best if he ever wanted to follow in his parents' footsteps and take over their business in the future. Plus, it was their final year of high school. Like hell was Sora going to slack off now.

"It's stupid."

"No," replied Nakamura. "It's just you. I mean, if you get close enough, you'd be able to hear the echo of elevator music off the walls of your empty skull."

"HEY!"

"Now, now," soothed Nobu, raising his head, glasses glinting under the classroom's light, his sky grey eyes narrowing into an austere gaze. "Play nice."

Nakamura huffed, flipping her hair over her shoulder and turning away stubbornly. Ryota burned holes into her head, fingers twitching to wrap around her neck and strangle the living daylights out of her.

Like he would ever do that.

"Say, Suzuki," started Nobu, directing the attention elsewhere. "Do you want to join us for a study group?"

Sora shook his head apologetically. "I'll have to decline. I'm helping my soulmate with his work after school."

Ah, yes. Help. Not the kind they were thinking of, though. Tobio and Sora were going to study human anatomy. That's all.

( still don't recall that being part of the school syllabus )

"But it's his first year," Ryota whined. "He can afford to miss a few sessions with you. Spend some time with us!"

A sonorous chuckle broke through Sora's lips, who explained, "Tobio and the volleyball team are going to a training camp during the summer. In order to attend, he needs to get his grades up. Otherwise, he'll have to miss it and take the supplementary classes."

"That does make sense," Nobu hummed. He sat back in his chair and stared at his friend in speculation. "Suzuki, you love your soulmate a lot, don't you?"

He nodded instantly. "I do. He means the world to me. Why are you asking?"

"I'm just wondering whether that's a good thing or a bad thing."