060 | try to keep his heart safe. it's your fated job, after all

is he supposed to be grateful to have survived?

JANUARY FIFTH,
TWO THOUSAND AND THIRTEEN

16:28 in the afternoon

TODAY, HE WORE his white button-down. Tired of wanting more, he thought he was finally worn. For fate had a way of promising love, joy, and serenity, and yet, here he was: a forest fire. The fire. The forest.

And the witness watching it.

Yes, this is Mitski's song. A masterpiece. This song has been playing on a loop in my head, and it has inspired me to write a new chapter for all you angsty and fluffy people.

May fortune be with you.

Yes, I also finished reading SSS-Class Suicide Hunter. Very epic. Still prefer Solo Leveling.

Might write a fic about it.

Might not.

Either way, let's move on with the chapter.

Walking out of the stadium, hand in hand with Kageyama, Sora and the rest of the Karasuno's boys' volleyball team boarded the bus to head back to their marvellous hotel, courtesy of Sugar Daddy Sora. Yes, that was the nickname Nishinoya bestowed Sora. Was he ever going to let it go? No way in hell. Would he constantly ask to be his sugar baby? Fuck, yeah. That was a golden opportunity the short libero refused to miss out on.

"Freshen up, and we'll have a meeting regarding our next opponent," Ukai informed, unzipping his dark-coloured tracksuit jacket.

"Where will we hold it?" Daichi questioned.

"Oh, yeah."

"There's a meeting room in this hotel," Sora informed. "I'll ask if we can borrow it."

"Thanks," Ukai replied, shooting a smile.

( this bitch got him paying their rent- )

Gathering in the empty meeting room, Karasuno's members sat around the oval table, messing around on the wheeled chairs. Dang, if they had known being around Sora Suzuki would grant them this type of luxury, they would've bowed down and praised him more. But they liked him as he was.

Genuinely.

Honestly.

He was their young setter's beloved.

He was a part of their odd family.

Kageyama sat on the seat beside Sora, lacing their fingers together. He was exhausted. Today was their first day, and he messed up repeatedly, the words of Atsumu Miya ringing through his head. Struggling to gain some sort of semblance, Tobio fumbled with the ball one too many timeshe even messed up the quick set with Hinata. He. The co-creator of it. How could he do such a thing? How was he even meant to play? Like before? Where he set the ball only to those he knew would score? Or was he meant to perform on court and accommodate everyone's unique ability?

A king?

A saint?

Like a boy who was considered to be the best teenage setter across all of Japan?

Or like his soulmate who he admired to the heavens and more for everything?

Sora glanced to the side. He could feel the turmoil in his soulmate's mind.

Tobio felt like he was always running to catch a train but never quite made it. Constantly.

"Oh, uh, Kageyama, Suzuki," Sugawara called, a light smile on his lips. His phone was in his hand, the bright screen illuminating his delicate features. "There are some people waiting outside for you two."

Kageyama looked up, confused.

Sora never tore his worried gaze from him.

"Who?" Tobio questioned, tilting his head.

Sugawara motioned to the door. It opened and revealed four teenage boys, dressed in casual attire, grins plastered onto their faces.

Tooru waved blithely.

"Yahoo, Tobio-chan, Sora-chan!"

Tobio jumped to his feet, rushing over and diving into welcoming arms. Their emotions pulsed like the waves of the sea. Sora sat on his chair, watching them. Always.

"What're you doing here?" The fabric of Iwaizumi's shirt muffled his voice.

"We came to watch you!" Kindaichi answered. "You played really well! Congratulations!"

"Although, you had us worried in the first half," added Kunimi, a frown on his lips. His fingers fiddled with a strand of Tobio's silk-like hair.

"I thought I'd have to come down and help out until you regained your balance!" Tooru said, pulling away from their group hug.

Eyes flitted over to the seated swimmer.

He shivered at the dark, ravenous stare.

"Kageyama was doing fine," stated Sugawara, smiling at the brunet. He and Oikawa were texting quite a bit, both worried about the young setter before and after the game.

Iwaizumi shook his head fondly. He directed his attention to Karasuno's blond coach. "Sorry for interrupting. We wanted to drop by and say our greetings and congratulations."

"It's fine," Ukai waved off. "We were just analysing our next opponent's games."

"Ooh, anything we can help with?" Tooru asked.

"Actually, yes. We'd like all your inputs."

And so, the soulmate group shuffled inside the meeting room. Yachi, ever so polite, gave up her seat, choosing to sit on Kiyoko's lap instead. Ennoshita did the same.

They moved the chairs to the side, sitting around Tobio and Sora, who greeted them with a small smile. Iwaizumi sat on Tobio's previous seat, grabbing the young boy and placing him in his lap. Kindaichi and Kunimi sat in the vacant seats, and Oikawa simply made himself at home in Sora's arms, sitting on his lap and snuggling into the warmth exuding off his toned, muscular body.

The swimmer didn't say anything.

He wrapped his arms around Tooru's waist.

They spent the rest of the evening discussing possible strategies. Iwaizumi and Oikawa, with the most experience, helped out a lot. Ukai hummed each time they brought up something insightful, modifying his plans.

And Sora, well, he continued watching.

Cerulean eyes on the brunet. Continually.

His stomach fluttered upon hearing the way Tooru's voice quickened when he sparkled with a new idea or enjoyed one of the others' that he seemed to lose himself for a moment and forget the mask he wore before them.

Sora gave him his heart.

And kept Tooru's safe.

That's the way it had always been.