056 | kiss them under the mistletoe

be the thing that buries him

DECEMBER TWENTY FIFTH,TWO THOUSAND AND TWELVE

TWO THOUSAND AND TWELVE

22:48 at night

AS PERFECT AS THE WATER in his nighttime eyes, Sora felt something wet on his cheeks. His brows furrowed. Gingerly, he rose his hand, touching his skin. Cerulean eyes glanced down at his fingertips, and a frown donned his lips at the foreign moisture.

"I didn't realise it started to rain," he muttered to himself. Tomoko was long gone, having returned inside when her son called for her, demanding that she side with him in the argument against Oikawa and himself.

Water droplets ran down his cheek.

Except it wasn't raining.

The sky was cloudless that Christmas night.

━━━━ ♔ • ♛ • ♔ ━━━━

Isn't it funny how the most unforgettable scenes can be so trivial? Spotting your soulmates bundled together under large blankets, two on the floor, three on the couch it should fill you with joy, shouldn't it?

So, explain to me:

Why couldn't Sora feel that joy?

Don't get me wrong; it's there. It always had been. But there had also always been a little sadness mixed inside his happiness.

Sora struggled to separate the two.

"I will rip your spine out and play it like a xylophone," seethed Iwaizumi, tugging harshly on the blanket Oikawa was hogging.

They sat on the floor, Mai and Tadao excusing themselves to spend the rest of their night cuddled together in bed, dim lights, a romantic atmosphere and content smiles.

Tomoko left to dine with a few of her friends whilst Takeru sat on the lone seat, refusing to share his bowl of popcorn with anyone.

Although, if his favourite soon to be uncle-in-law had asked, Takeru would gladly get up halfway through the film they were watching and make him a special new batch.

Tooru snorted, "Spoken like a true poet."

"What did I just miss?" Sora asked, walking over to his five soulmates. He ruffled Takeru's head on the way over, his heart warming at the beaming, childish grin sent his way.

"From my calculations," started Kunimi, shuffling closer to Kageyama to make space for the older swimmer, "chaos."

None of them commented on his red eyes.

Sora chose to sit beside Iwaizumi, and, of course, never one to be left out, Oikawa huffed, "I want to sit next to Sora-chan, too."

He crossed his arms over his chest.