Home (Ch.34)

*Maddie's POV*

It's the first day at school without Mackenzie. It's so weird. Even though I didn't talk to her at all since she came to this school.

But she's gone. Because of me.

I'm alone all the time. This is how my sister felt. And I deserve this.

That's when I hear "she doesn't blame you, you know."

I turn around, seeing Kendall. Why is she here? Being nice to me...

Kendall(cheery): May I sit?

I nod, ever so confused.

Me: It's just...she's...gone. Because I let Kayla get to her.
Kendall: If she doesn't forgive you yet, she will. But I know she doesn't completely blame you. She'll be back by next semester.
Me: But dance. It screwed her and Abby over.
Kendall: Abby gets it. She doesn't want Mackenzie hurting herself more than she has. Even if she came and begged Abby to be back on the team, she would have to say no.
Me: I just think it would hurt more than help, being out of dance. She would always come here if she was upset. And she's feel better.
Kendall: I know. I don't get it either. I guess her...being alone with her thoughts...helps her deal with it...?

It makes sense. But I don't know. This house is so lonely without her. Even Mom is different.

I pick at my food while Kendall devours hers.

Kendall gets me to laugh a little with a lame joke when someone sits about a foot away from me on the lunch table bench.

Me: Haven't seen much of you lately.
Rock: Haven't seen your sister lately either. Where is she?

Me and Kendall look at each other.

Me(quietly): Not here.
Rock: Then where is she?

I finally look at him.

Me: You seriously don't know?
Rock: If I knew, would I be asking?

Me and Kendall look at each other again.

Me: Reightwater High.

I get up, leaving the table to wander.

*Mackenzie's POV*

I sit with Hannah's friends at lunch, with which ones end up in our other classes, and walk with whichever ones in the hallways.

The day wasn't awful, but it wasn't great either.

Hannah drops me off, and Dad isn't home.

I go to the basement immediately, dropping my bag on the couch.

I sit, opening Instagram.

Scroll, scroll, scroll...and I see a video Kendall has uploaded.

"Missing combo night with the girls:/"

The video is of the old team, doing a favorite dance combo.

"Me too" I comment.

I find myself watching all the dances I have recorded on my phone. Before I start crying, I decide to stop.

The room is empty, except for a TV on the wall and the couch. The floor is hardwood but it works well as a floor to practice dance on.

I run upstairs to get my dock, plug it in, and turn on music.

I haven't danced in months, but I have stretched frequently, mainly because of endless days of boredom.

Thank god I did it though.