The Notebook (Ch.10)

My family members leave first, mainly because there's a lot of little ones. My friends always stay over.

While the dance team and other girls are moving blankets and pillows to the basement, I sneak upstairs with Tyler for a second.

I close my door behind me.

Tyler: Whose is that?

He's talking about Maddie's present.

Me: Uhh, probably my cousin's. She always liked to put mine in my room somewhere. She didn't try to hide it too hard this year.

I face him, clenching his shirt in my fists. I pull him closer to me.

His lips press against mine, my back getting pressed against the door. I know we can't stay up here forever, but I wish we could. After about a minute, I pull away from his lips, but press my head to his chest. Usually I do this when I'm upset, but I'm anything but that right now. There's something between us, some sort of strength. But I can't figure out what it is. Something that almost begs him to stay with me.

But before my absence becomes suspicious, he climbs out my window, and I head to the basement.

~*~*~*~*~*~

So far, from the presents I've opened, I've gotten what I usually get. Dance stuff, clothes, shoes and jewelry.

We stay up crazy late and sleep for only a couple hours.

Luckily, I don't dream.

The whole next day is picking up old water balloons and trash from the house and backyard. Maddie helps, which is weird, but she cleans wherever I'm not.

It's around 7 when I go back up to my room.

I see Maddie's gift.

And I sit on my bed and hold it, my heart pounding. I'm fighting back tears.

My fingers rip open the paper. It's a box. Slowly, I open it.

Inside is a small jewelry box and a piece of paper with a sticky note on it.

I look at the box first. I open it and see a necklace. It's so pretty. And so expensive looking.

I'm almost severely pissed. Does she think buying me stuff will help this?

I look at the papers next. The stick note says, "I was able to get mom to rush this. I hope it makes you feel a little better. I'm sorry. Even though that probably doesn't mean much to you, know I am."

I open the folded piece of paper and start reading.

"Plaintiff Copy:

Blah blah blah

Now punishable by fine, subject Kayla Radixer must be kept at least 50 yards from Mackenzie Ziegler. Subject may not have any connection through any internet means...

And more blah blah blah"

This is the restraining order that I've been waiting for. Maddie got this through and accepted for me.

I look up, not sure what to do with this piece of paper.

As happy as I am about this, it's bringing back painful memories.

I fall asleep with tears wetting my pillow.

~*~*~*~*~*~

"I'm walking through school by myself, which is a rare occurrence.

I hear laughter around the hall, which is otherwise empty. My feet take me towards the noise, and I see a group of people. Tyler and Kayla included.

And they're really close to each other. Too close for my liking. They see me.

Kayla: Hey, slut. You can't be within 50 yards of me. Get out of here.
Me: No, you-
Kayla: Come on, just go. Nobody wants you here.

She's talking like she's drunk. With a stagger she moves right next to Tyler, her arm resting on his shoulder.

She kisses him.
She kisses him.

Suddenly the four rows of white school tiles stretch, making the hallway longer and longer.

But just Tyler is moving farther away from me. And he doesn't care.

He doesn't care."

I don't wake up screaming this time; I wake up crying. Bawling. Like a three year old.

Who knows what time it is, or how long it is until the sun comes up, but I sit with tears stopping and starting, my level of hysteria rising and falling.

But I can't bring myself to pick up my phone and get comfort from who I need it from.

When the sun starts to shine through my windows, I reach under my bed to write in my journal.

It's not there.

Where is it?!

Frantically, I jump off my bed, looking under. There is absolutely nothing under there.

My heart starts to pound.

Who took my notebook? Who read my dreams?

No no no no no no no...

That simple two letter word runs through my mind over and over again.

Soon enough I just crawl back under my covers, hoping to forget the world.

My phone goes off multiple times by three o'clock. I choose to answer everyone at 3:02 PM. I just say I'm busy then go back to avoiding life.

Sometime, about an hour later, I get up because I'm starving.

I head downstairs, planning to raid the fridge and pantry so I don't have to come down here anymore.

But what catches my eye is something blue on the island.

It's my notebook.

Oh shit.

Quickly, I take it and shove it under my shirt, grabbing a box of cereal and running back up the stairs.

As soon as I'm in the safety of my room, I grab a pencil and scribble down my dream from last night.

I close the notebook, but I see writing on the inside of the cover. I never wrote there. Why would anyone write in this?

"Don't hide this if all of these dreams are true."

Someone saw this, read all the dreams and wrote this. Who wrote it?!

I know it was a girl, because the handwriting is in no way from a male.

Wait.

The l's are looped, not just straight lines.

Maddie wrote this. Maddie took my notebook.

I get up and barge into her room. She jumps when the door hits the wall.

Me(yelling): Why did you take this?!
Maddie: I-I just-
Me: How did you even know where to get this?!
Maddie: I...-
Me: How?!
Maddie: I put your present in your room, and I saw something blue under your bed. So I took it.
Me: Why?! That was only for me to write in and never look at again!
Maddie: I-I'm sorry.
Me: You don't touch this, you don't think about this, and you NEVER tell anyone about this!
Maddie: But-
Me: No buts! You are not telling anyone about this. Never.
Maddie: Okay. I promise.

I can tell I scared her. And hurt her feelings a little. And frankly, I feel no guilt for it.

I leave with a slam of her door.