Finding Out (Ch.27)

I run all the way to the Lukasiak's. I can hear yelling as I open the back gate. Clara comes for me right away.

I close the gate slowly so it doesn't make a lot of noise.

I hear someone - Chloe, I can tell this time - yell Clara's name.

And it's loud so I know she's in Christi and Marc's room.

Me: Run now, talk later. My house. Back yard.

And we take off. She's faster than I am, which is good in this case.

I watch her practically body slam into the gate. Usually it opens, but you have to do that from the inside.

Me: I think we're safe now.

I hop the gate with ease and open it. I let her inside, and bring her up to Maddie's room. Maddie is somewhere with my mom right now so leaving her in here is okay.

Clara: But-
Me: If Chloe comes here, she won't think to look in here. You have your phone, right?

Clara nods.

Me: Okay. Silent. No vibrate. Hide in the closet if you hear her near the room for more than like 10 seconds.

Clara nods again.

Me: Text me to keep busy.

I leave her, and go into the next room. My room.

I sit on my bed and put my head in her hands.

What have I done? I wasn't able to get two weeks without someone finding out.

And of all people, it had to be Tyler who found out.

No, don't cry. You can cry later. But don't do it now.

I hear banging downstairs. Chloe's here.

I get up and look at myself in the mirror. I look fine...I guess.

I open my door so I can go downstairs , but that's when I hear something outside my window.

Tyler came down here. He's gonna come and talk to me.

Quickly, I speed out of my room and into the closet I stashed Clara in.

Me(quietly): Sit closer to the front of the closet. If he sees you, he'll ask where I am, and you'll say you don't know. You'll say I put you in here and left.
Clara: Who?
Me: Just...if a guy comes up here.

Clara nods. Tears still cover her face.

Me: Hey, they argue over you because they love and want to protect you. Chloe was probably trying to get it I stop.
Clara: I know. I just hate it.
Me: I know. You're always able to come here if you have to. Even if I'm not here.

I hear the door open. I slide back and to the side, behind a box and hanging shirts.

I hear him walk in. I know it's Tyler because Chloe's footsteps are much lighter.

He's calling my name. I know he's scared for me, but I'm definitely more scared for him to find me.

He closes the door. I relax.

We hide for maybe another ten minutes before I hear Chloe's voice too.

Chloe: Now why would they be in there? What if Maddie's home?

I motion for Clara to come over and hide with me. We're practically invisible.

Tyler: She isn't. I looked already.
Chloe opens the door. I hear a lot of commotion. She's probably looking under the bed and stuff.