Behind a Make-Uped Mask (Ch.14)

"It dark. Too dark.

I hear murmurs.

I see a shadow of a person. But I don't know who it is.

The murmurs grow louder, but it still just sounds like mumbling.

Nothing else happens. The figure moves around and the mumbling gets louder.

But it's scary. So scary."

I pop up out of my sleep. I can't tell if I was screaming or not. But I'm shaky.

As I'm not alone. I'm not even home. I'm with Tyler. And I woke him up.

Shit.

Tyler: Mackenzie? What's the matter?

I stand up, trying to shake the jitters of a nightmare off me. My voice fails me as I can't speak. Just a little whimper.

Tyler: Kenz. Come here.

I don't want the affection I'm sure to get. I don't want to be coddled all the time.

I make my way to his side of the bed anyways, sitting on his lap. His voice is quiet, soothing, and gentle.

Tyler: What happened?
Me: Just a dream. I'm fine.
Tyler: You are legitimately shaking. You're cold.
Me: So? It's freezing in here. I'm always cold.

I don't want his affection if it's in a form of pity. I plan to ward it off by any means necessary.

Tyler: You don't have to pretend you're fine.
Me: Well I am fine.

I can tell he's slightly annoyed I won't talk to him. But I can't keep doing that. Sure, my life might suck but whatever.

Just so he isn't too pissed off, I run my fingers through his hair, pulling his lips to mine.

This calms my nerves, even if he doesn't realize it. It's familiar. His somewhat chapped lips, his calloused hands.

I pull away from him slowly, not really wanting to. I want to tell him everything, but no, I can't. He shouldn't have to deal with my problems. They're mine and mine alone.

I out my head on his shoulder, taking in his scent.

Tyler(quietly): It's late. You need sleep.

Sleep is something that won't come easily. But I nod and slide over onto his bed. He lies next to me, holding me, protecting me.

I feel his body relax as he falls asleep. I stay awake until morning, only catching a glimpse of sleep.

~*~*~*~*~*~

There are so many people at this showcase. And this is just the people for dance.

I'm dressed in my lyrical group costume, ready to take the stage with the others.

I've already done acro. So after this my favorite genres are over with.

And then another dance.

And another dance.

And like all the others I have to watch.

When the day is finally over, I'm thrilled. Dance stuff is finally over. Booty camp is mainly for the littler kids so their technique and flexibility stays up.

I have a week and two days before I go to my dad's. Which I'm excited about. Kelsey is coming with this time too.

It's...Sunday...? I think. Without school I have no clue what day of the week it is.