Busy Busy (Ch.12)

I fall asleep wrapped in Tyler's arms. My back is against his chest, his arm is around my waist. I've never felt so protected.

" 'Come find me. Don't worry. I won't hurt you this time. I don't want to go to jail again'

It's Kayla.

Oh shit.

I don't get the choice of avoiding her. As soon as I look up, she pops up in the dark grey-walled room. She comes towards me.

Kayla: Thought you could avoid me, huh?
Me: N-No...
Kayla: Whatever. I have to make this quick.
Me: What?
Kayla: He wants me. Me.
Me: Who?
Kayla: You fricking moron. Tyler. You're just his side bitch. For now. Just wait until he sees me. I got taller. I got highlights. He likes that. Not short-ass trash like you.

The room starts to spin.

And all I can hear is 'he doesn't want you'

I fall to the floor, and let the walls copy me."

BEEP BEEP BEEP.
BEEP BEEP BEEP.
BEEP BEEP B-

I jump awake as Tyler slams his hand down on the alarm.

I don't know if it was my dream or the alarm that woke me up. But I'm glad if I'm awake.

I relax back into my bed.

Tyler: It's way too early.
Me: Tell that to Abby.
Tyler: How'd you sleep?
Me: Okay.

That's both the truth and a lie at the same time.

Tyler: That's good. Come here.

I slide closer to him and let him hold me for a while. I need it, but don't tell him.

~*~*~*~*~*~

Abby: So I pulled you all in here because I'm planning to be a part of this new performance showcase. It's called the All-Stars Showcase, and is for dancing, singing, acting, cheerleading, and some other stuff. There will be producers and agents and casting directors and other people that could send you above and beyond.

Sounds like way too much pressure for me.

Abby: It's a newer thing, hasn't been around for too many years, but I've been wanting to get involved for a while. So it's sort of like our showcase every year, but I'm only having each class or group do one dance. And competitive team does solos. Pick your favorite one and give me the name. Then practice it until you have it perfect. And this team will be doing Maybe It'll Be Perfect as our group dance. And you'll be in any dances your classes do.

That's like...a lot of numbers. Around 7.

Abby: Go to your classes for today. They'll have the numbers picked out. You can go home at three but be back at five with your solo picked out.

So ballet, then jazz, then acro, then contemporary, lyrical, hip-hop and my solo and group for the competition team.

That's a lot.

But throughout the day, the number lessens. I'm not in my ballet group because I'm never in that class. Our hip-hop and jazz combined once and created a jazz-funk number. So that's only...6. Still a bit but at least I already know the dances. The only one that may give me trouble is Maybe It'll Be Perfect because I haven't done that one like 10000 times.

~*~*~*~*~*~

Abby: Everyone's back...okay, good

She closes the door.

Abby: Everyone got their props and costumes?

We all nod. Half of us are wearing our costumes already.

Abby: Get changed and stretch out. Chloe, come here.

She pulls Chloe for her solo. She's doing her national number. Nia picks a jazz solo. So does Kendall. Paige picks an acrobatic jazz one. I pick A Haunting. I loved that number so much, even though I was nearly stressed enough to puke.

Abby: Ahh...your highest scoring number for the season. Good choice. You go to studio C after group rehearsal.

I nod.

Me: Thank you.

I hate this group dance so much, because it's so sad. But it's so beautiful for the same reason. Abby gets teary eyes after our first run through. I can't tell if it's because of the story or the fact we danced really well.

I watch Kendall and Paige do their solos first. Then me. None of us are doing exceptionally well with them tonight.

Oh well. There's tomorrow. And then a week and that's about it but we've gotten perfect scores with less time.

Even though this isn't being scored really...kinda...whatever. I'm tired.

I flip my shoes off as I go up the stairs, my jacket drops outside my door, and my light remains off as I head to my bed. I'm too tired for anything tonight.

~*~*~*~*~*~

I feel better about my solo after today, exactly a week left until this showcase.

Abby: Hey, guys, over here.

We all come by Abby.

Abby: So tomorrow, they want to have all the performers at the showcase location. It's by where we usually have our showcase, but we will be going to the building down the street. 9AM, okay?

We all mumble "yes".

Abby: Okay, you're all free to go early.

5 o'clock is extremely early for us, but I can't be any more grateful.

As soon as I get home, I shower out of habit then lie on my hammock outside. Well, it's not mine, but I'm the only one who uses it. The sun is setting, but it's still really light out. Maybe I can start tanning now.

My phone starts going off, and I jolt up. I wasn't asleep, but I wasn't fully awake either.

I shuffle around to find it, grab it, and answer it. I know who it is so I don't bother looking at the Caller ID.

Me: Hey. Do you try to make a habit of trying to call me just before I fall asleep?
Tyler: No. Just happens.
Me: What's up?
Tyler: Do you have dance tomorrow?
Me: Every night until after Saturday.
Tyler: When do I get to see you then? June is the only month my family is almost never home.
Me: You can come over now. I'll get out of dance every night at around 6 or 7. Unless Abby lets us go early. Then I'm free for like a week or so.
Tyler: A week?

I can sense the disappointment through the phone.

Me: Or so...why? Just come over.
Tyler: Look, I gotta be somewhere in a bit. I'll call you later, okay?
Me: Don't be mad.
Tyler: I'm not.
Me: But you are.
Tyler: I am not!

He sounds madder this time.

Me: It's not like-
Tyler: Mackenzie, I have to go. I will call you later.

He hangs up.

I doubt he's really leaving home, but if he is, I'm not gonna let him.

I get off the hammock, go through the fence gate, and run towards his house.