Just in case. (Ch.25)

Nia: Chloe, don't worry about her.
Kendall: We'll make sure she's okay.
Paige: My sister's gone too. I need another one.

Oddly enough it doesn't settle my nerves.

I nod to make them believe otherwise.

Me: I just can't believe I'm this selfish.

They spend forever trying to convince me that's not the case.

Paige: Hey, what about Mackenzie? Them two were close when you were gone.
Me: She's going too.

I don't turn around, but I can tell they are now doubly upset.

*Mackenzie's POV*

I walk into school, seeing Chloe. She eyes me immediately.

She then runs up to me and Tyler.

Chloe: Hey, can I talk to you for about 10 seconds?
Me: Yeah.

I go to a less crowded corner with Chloe. I can already tell what she's gonna say. It's about all the stares we are getting.

Chloe: I dunno how school went when I was gone, but I can guess it's gonna be something like today.
Me: Fabulous.

After a brief conversation, I go to find Tyler.

Tyler: What was that about?
Me: Chloe's just on edge. She's fine.
Tyler: Do you have dance tonight?
Me: Yeah. I think it's just class though. It's too late in the week for learning new stuff.
Tyler: Will you be out any earlier?
Me: Maybe by like an hour.

The warning bell rings.

I stand on my tiptoes and kiss him.

Tyler: I'll see you later. Love you.
Me: Love you too.

I press one more quick kiss to his lips before hurrying off to avoid being late.

~*~*~*~*~*~

Gianna: Hey, Kenz. Where's Maddie?
Me: Isn't she already here? And has Abby started yet?
Gianna: She's late too. Lucky duck, you.
Me: Yeah, yeah.

I turn a little to head towards the den.

Gianna: Come back out here when you're dressed.

I nod and go to change. Out back by the front desk, I see Abby heading in.

Abby: What's she doing out here?
Gianna: My fault. I'll talk to you later, okay?

I nod, confused.

Rehearsal is rather strenuous, for whatever reason Abby has. She's having us learn new numbers, but for next week.

After rehearsal, Gianna tells me not to worry about anything I'm leaving behind when I go to New York. When I ask her what she means, she doesn't really answer.

As I head home, something doesn't feel right. The wind is blowing, clouds moving lightly across the sky, the moon half covered at all times.

I hear laughter, like a group of people. When I get to the oncoming intersection, I see them.

Kayla. With a bunch of her friends.

I start speed walking, staying as quiet as possible.

When I hear someone yell, "Hey!", I start running. I take my phone out,scared for my life.

Home is where they would expect me to go. Are they even following me? I dunno. I round a corner instead of going straight, and then I slow down.

I text Tyler to come out of his house, not caring that I look a wreck. I'm not hot anymore, so that's a plus.