Why? (Ch.31)

I get kind of obsessive with the "no downtime" thing. I just can't handle sitting in my room...thinking...

Whatever. I get Drew's mom to make me the family babysitter - which is needed every night - so I can spend as much time over there as I want. And Abby lets me work at the studio. Little jobs. Watching the 8-and-unders, organizing files, and signing up clients in the mornings. Since I'm the only student who does this, I get a little bit of money taken off my dance tuition.

One day, I'm sitting with a mother, Mrs.Neel, and her 5 year old daughter, Kimmy.

Me: So you can either do ballet Monday, Wednesday, Friday with acro and tap Tuesday and Thursday, or Monday, Tuesday tap and acro with ballet Wednesday, Friday, Saturday.
Mrs.Neel: I'll have to talk to my husband about it again. He usually doesn't work Thursdays but his schedule might change to Monday's off.
Me: Well remember, Kimmy does have friends here. I'm sure if need be you could get Kimmy here through one of them sometimes. Lots of families do it.
Mrs.Neel: Okay. Well can I sign up but change?
Me: Until one of the classes is full. Then you have to stay in whichever one you're in.
Mrs.Neel: Okay. Then we'll do the ballet Wednesday, Friday, Saturday.
Me: With the Monday, Tuesday tap and acro?

She nods. As I'm writing in my portion of the form, handing it to her, and typing it in the computer, Abby comes up to me.

Abby: I'm gonna need to talk to you.
Me: One second. I'm almost done with them.
Abby: Okay, just come to my office when you're done.

I nod and hit "enter" on the keyboard.

~*~*~*~*~*~

Me: What?
Abby: Maddie has requested to work with you.
Me: What?
Abby: You heard me.
Me: Well what did you tell her?
Abby: That she probably could.
Me: Abby! I do everything!
Abby: You do busywork. And more help is still needed. I'm letting her work.
Me: Then why'd you start this off as letting me decide if I want her here or not?
Abby: I never did that. I was telling you what she wanted. But you're both going to be working. Together.

Call me a brat, I don't care. I can't handle being around Maddie. She's constantly remind me what happened. I can't have that.

I stay away from Maddie as much as possible at the studio.

When time comes for the weeks at dad's, I feel even worse. Maddie's going too.

At least I'll have Hannah.

When dad comes to pick us up, I'm excited. I mean, it's my dad, but when I get up to my room, I feel really...alone. And trapped.

This is gonna be a long three weeks.

~*~*~*~*~*~

Hannah: You're not on your phone. Are you okay?

I smile and shake my head.

Me: Yeah. Why?
Hannah: Well I'd assume you'd be texting Chloe or that boyfriend of yours or someone.

I look down, not happy to be reminded.

Hannah: What?
Me: Not my boyfriend. Anymore.

And then comes the "oh my god, what happened?" questions.

Me: We just...realized it wouldn't work. I'm too clingy and have no reason not to accept my sister back into my life. Apparently.
Hannah: Was this during a fight?
Me: Yeah but-
Hannah: You guys didn't break up. Really.
Me: Well we aren't really together! Nor do I want to be.
Hannah: Huh?
Me: He's...different now. I dunno. Something about it just isn't right anymore.
Hannah: It could be because you were gone so long. It hurt you both.