Part 41

Was re-reading last few parts to get back into the zone to write this one.. and read the comments along with it, only to realise that most of you were mad at Vikram for not reading the other letter!? Why? You think it has whereabouts of pooja? If that's so then why Ram would hire people to find her? The "confessions" letter is purely Ram's POV about what happened and why they live separately...

I don't know if that helped but I just felt there was unnecessary heat towards Vikram, so felt like clarifying.

Also, apologies for posting this late.. I just couldn't complete this one somehow.. to reach the end of this was a challenge, as I kept writing, it got over the word count per chapter, but then, instead of spliting it for next, I kept on writing and reached where I intended to...

Without any further delay, let's get into it...

-------

"ja chotu ek chai leke aa (go chotu get me tea)" Ronak tapped on the small kid's shoulders before making space for himself on the stool. He stretched himself and took a cigarette out of his pocket.

"aaj garmi bohot hai nahi? (It's humid out here isn't it?)" He told to the man on his right who nodded without paying any attention.

Shaking his head, Ronak was going to lit his cigarette but was interrupted by his phone ringing in his pocket. Muttering curse within his mouth to the caller he looked at the ID which showed unknown.

First he thought of not picking it up but then decided to pick it, "Hello" His voice filled up with his town slang.

"Hello, am I speaking with Ronak?" The man on the other side asked.

Hearing a well versed vocabulary, Ronak sat straight from his one leg up on the stool and cleared his tone "Yes, Ronak speaking" he replied.

"Yeah, Hi, I am Vikram Shergill, Ram's friend" Vikram introduced, "I got to know about you from my people that Ram has appointed you for a very special work" he apprised.

"What special work are you talking about" Ronak though a bit intimated by Vikram's authoritative voice, did not replied in haste given Ram specifically mentioned about this job being top secret, also threatened him not to tell anyone unless he says so.

"oh, you know what work I am talking about" Vikram pressed, "look, I am Ram's close friend and I really need your help with this special work" Vikram tried making him understand.

"As far as I know, Ram Sir does not have any close friends" Ronak retorted, keeping his job safe.

Vikram closed his eyes heaving a sigh, "That's not the truth" hurt was evident on Vikram's face but not his voice, "Ram just didn't want to bother me with this work that's why he had hired you to do it, also because you are from the same town that's why to" Vikram retaliated back.

"How can I be sure you are really his friend, also I have no idea what work you are talking about" Ronak kept with his hard tone not to reveal anything about the special work, remembering Ram's not so friendly words of how he will make sure he regrets leaking the information.

"Ronak, listen" Vikram pursed his lips trying hard not to snap hard given the surrounding he was in "mujhe tumhari jarurat hai, kya tum itna bata sakta ho ki us kaam ke progress ke bareme (I really need your help, can you just atleast tell me if you've had any progress in the work" He tried to neutralize the conversation for both of them.

"suno, Vikram, mujhe nahi pata aap kis bareme me baat kar rahe hai, aur agar aapko lagta hai ki mujhe Ram sir ne koi khufiyan kaam diya hai, toh ho bhi sakta hai par me kaise maan lu ki aap unke dost hai aur me aapko sab kuch bata du, wo mere liye bohot bura hoga (Listen Vikram, I have no idea about what you saying, and if you think that I am assigned to any special job, then maybe yes I am, but I don't believe you to be his friend and tell you such a secret, it will turn bad for me if he gets to know)" Ronak was adamant on not saying anything about the work.