62| Endure

God, keep my head above water
Don't let me drown, it gets harder
I'll meet you there at the altar
As I fall down to my knees
Don't let me drown, drown, drown

____________________

"Welcome home dear"

Said the monster as he approached her with a predatory gaze, showing how unwelcome she really was. But the young woman held her head high, stood her ground, and kept her lips in a thin line. She wouldn't show him the satisfaction of seeing the scared little girl she used to be

The little girl that deep down, she still was.

Gripping her bag in one hand, she bowed her head slightly. "It's good to be home father" she responded, smiling at him.

"Isn't this wonderful Gakuho? Our daughter is back home at last!" Masami cheers, hugging her daughter by the side. "I'll tell the maids to prepare your old room. No one's been in there since you left three years ago so everything's dusty, I had the room locked up so no one would enter and ruin anything because I had a feeling you'd be back" she explained, leading their daughter inside.

"I had a feeling you'd be back too Nanami" Gakuho said. "Though I expected it to be...much sooner than three years"

Nanami bit the inside of her cheek, hard. She knew what he meant

It means "I thought you wouldn't last a month out there and would come crawling back to us"

Well, he never expected her to thrive did he?

"Yuki!" Masami called a maid probably around her brother's age. She had strawberry blonde hair pulled into a bun. "Yes mistress?" She bowed respectfully.

"Meet Nanami! Your distant cousin and the lady you'll be serving from now on" Masami explained.

"Oh, I see" Yuki turned to her and bowed. "It's a pleasure to be working under you"

"A distant cousin huh?" Nanami surveyed the younger girl. "Through what relations?" And what's a cousin doing working here as a lowly maid?

"We sort of...share the same grandmother? Or great grandmother" she hesitantly explained.

"Ahh..I see" was all Nanami could say.

She was led to her old room.

Masami unlocked the door and pulled it open. Nanami felt nostalgia, an nausea, when she saw her old room. The very same bed she laid on and cried herself to sleep every night

The full body mirror she used to help herself nurse her injuries

And that desk pressed against the wall where she was forced to read thick books after thicker books for seventeen years.

Suddenly, a memory flashed in her mind

________________

"Nanami, you're such a brilliant child!"  Her tutor praised. "So clever, so wonderful, so quick to grasp on formulas and understand such deep literature!"

Nanami smiled, feeling a blush creep up her neck.

"How old did you say you were again?"