The 3 Rules to become the 14th Concubine

"3 rules. 1. Do not take your underclothes off in front of anyone except the king and Yalise, your maid. 2. Do not drink alcohol unless the king is present. 3. Do not let your hair down for anyone but the king unless absolutelynecessary. " Those were the rules my father set for me before I was loaded onto a carriage to be taken to Ardan. Apparently, those were the same instructions my mother was given by my grandfather before she married my father.

I gently play with my hair pin. It's in an updo as a married woman should wear it. The carriage sets off and I watch the rolling hills. The prosperous towns, the fertile fields. None of them know they are living so well often due to my attention and contributions and that's how I want it. I don't feel like I'm leaving anyone but my father behind. I asked Yalise to go in the other carriage with my luggage and she understood. Even though she's been my maid for 12 years I don't like showing emotion in front of anyone, not even her. I want to be alone for these last few days of being an unmarried woman.

My father sent several demands to my soon to be husband that included a private garden with a fish pond, private quarters in a separate building from the other concubines and my only maid who serves me would be Yalise. He agreed to them readily. Having a powerful nation's princess in his harem seemed like a perfect deal in his mind. I have no intention on making him fall in love with me, I'm going to live a simple life away from the threat of my siblings and where my existence can't hurt my father. It won't be hard to convince him I'm a simple, plain girl with nothing notable about me but my title. It's almost true.

All my plans in my mind whirl around until I grow weary with them. The hollow feeling inside me creeps up again and I hate myself. Why can't I be power hungry and greedy like my siblings? Why can't I just crush people who despise me? Why do I have to care so much, even for people who dont recognize what I do for them? Why do I play the martyr and become the 14th concubine of a harem king? Sure, I could have married for love, but what would the chances be that I'd be loved back? Even if I fell in love with a poor man how would he feel to be suddenly thrust into the power games of royals? No, this is right.

Love is not for me. It can't be for me. Love is for ambitious, beautiful, and egotistical people. Strong people. Selfish people. Like my siblings. I have accepted the person I am, the kind of person I am that I can't escape from. I will live quietly as I always have and avoid the power games of the ambitious. I bite my lip as the tears come out. Why, why am I this way? The 14th concubine of a harem king. What a joke. I'm a joke.