Help Me Forget

"I can't tell you everything, but I can kind of explain why I was upset." She says; beating around the bush.

"Just please, Princess, spit it out. It's driving me crazy. I just need to know what I did wrong so I can fix it." I turn to face her and grab her hand in mine.

"Bell, that's the thing. It's not you..." She blushes.

"For the love! Don't you dare say it's not you, it's me." I give her a mock, angry look.

"Well it's true. I know it sounds ridiculous, but that's all I can say. I'm dealing with some serious stuff and I don't have room for anything else. You're great, really. I wouldn't have let last night happen if you weren't, but I also can't let it happen again. I won't be harsh enough to say it was a mistake, but it shouldn't have happened. I realized that when I woke up and my watch was gone."

"Wait, this is all about a freaking watch?" I spit out. I have never been rejected let alone, over a piece of cheap metal.

"It's not just a watch. It's the only part of home that I have with me. It was my dad's. He gave it to me before, before," She starts crying and I forget my anger instantly. I let go of her hand to wrap my arms around her. I know that I will never be able to stay angry at this girl, no matter what she does. Even if she told me that she had killed a man I would forgive her.

"Shhh, baby. It's okay. You're okay. You have the watch." I rub her back and kiss her hair as she nuzzles into my neck. Her lips brush against my skin and I wouldn't be able to hold back if not for the tears I can feel pooling on my shoulder.

This moment could last for an eternity and I wouldn't get tired of her. I know that I have fallen for her. I know there is no way around it and I'm terrified. I just wish that she could see that, but I know it's much too soon. When the water starts to boil I regretfully pull back from her.

"We can drink our coffee inside." I say and give her a hand up from the log. She wipes her eyes dry and nods her head.

"Thank you, Bell." She says after taking a seat in the chair. She is fidgeting with the watch on her wrist.

"What happened to him?" I ask as I run my finger over the cool metal on her wrist.

"He was into some bad things. He was a bad guy, but really he was so much better than the other ones." She sniffles and accepts the cup I hand her.

"He died?" I ask.

"No, worse."

"There's worse?" I can't fathom the idea.

"Yes. He was betrayed by the woman he loved. He was betrayed by everyone. They left him to die, but instead he got arrested. He'll die in prison. They gave him the maximum sentence because my mom was a key witness. She did it to save us." She practically growls the word save and makes air quotes.

"She is the one who should be there. Heck, I should be there. I was supposed to be." She reaches down to the pant leg of her jeans and pulls it up to show an ankle monitor.

"What happened?" I ask reaching out to touch her ankle. It's hard to take in what she's saying but I can tell that she's being sincere.

"I hurt a man. The man that I thought had turned on my dad. Turns out it had been my mom and I got in that mess for no reason. It should have been her that they took down."

I have never heard such hatred in someone's voice before.

"Wait, your mom?" And I thought my family was messed up. "What did your dad do? Who is he?" I ask trying to take in all that she's said.

"I can't say." She looks up to me with her bright, blue eyes. "Now how about we stop talking about my screwed up life and you help me forget about it?"

"I thought you didn't want this to happen again." I say and immediately want to slap myself. If a girl wants to lose herself in you, you let her.

"What can I say? I make horrible decisions." She runs her hand up and down my inner thigh.

"Well then, I think I can help with that." I wink. I want to know more about what's going on, but I know that she can't handle anymore right now.

"So, I think I have a deck of cards, we could play go fish." I offer in a sarcastic voice.

"I'm thinking something a little less, clothed..." Clarke leans forward to whisper in my ear and then nibbles on my lobe. I suck in a breath and completely forget about the jokes.

I reach out and she jumps into my arms. Our lips crash together. We are fighting a battle that we both could win. When my tongue plunges into her mouth she bites down on it, not hard, but just enough to make me groan. Her eyes are wide open and staring into mine. When I stand up bringing her with me she happily wraps her legs around me and giggles when my hand hits the back of her knee.

She squirms away from my touch.

"Ticklish, Princess?" I whisper.

A/N I know I should be on vacation and not writing but what can I say? I miss you guys! :) Thanks for reading, voting, and commenting. What do you think of this hint of Clarke's back story?