Knives and Fruit

"You want me to help you?" I ask as if I'm a twelve year old boy and she's asking me to hold her hand.

"Would you? I don't want to hurt myself." She holds the knife away from her body over the cutting board.

I take in a deep breath and step behind her. "Sure. So, you hold it like this." I reach my arms around her and place my hand over hers. Then, let's do the apple first. I reach past her to pick up the apple and throw it up in the air. Before it hits the cutting board I catch it and set it down.

"Nice catch." Clarke whispers.

"Thanks. Now the most important part is to hold the apple correctly so you don't cut your fingers." I pick up her hand that's been resting on the counter. I slide my fingers through hers and grab the apple. "Make sure that your fingers are straight up, like this." I use my fingers to move hers to the right position. I would be lying if I didn't say I was taking me sweet time.

"Now with the knife place it above the apple and you'll slide it down slowly, but sharply." Our hands move down as one and the two halves of the apple fall away from the knife. Clarke twists her hand that's no longer holding the apple so that our palms are touching. She looks up with her ocean-filled eyes and I can see the hint of a spark in them. I lean down and she drops the knife and turns to face me so our joined hands are between us.

"What is taking so long?" Octavia's voice shatters the moment. I see a blush shoot across Clarke's cheeks and she drops me hand. She turns back to the fruit and I have to take some breaths to stop myself from flipping her around and kissing her. I have never hated Octavia more than I do at this very moment. "You better not be doing something stupid like flirting instead of making my birthday lunch!"

"It's almost ready, O!" I call back through clenched teeth.

I look back at Clarke so that I can apologize for what just almost happened, but when I look at her my mouth drops open. On the cutting board is a completely diced apple and she's working on slicing some strawberries. Her hand is moving so fast that I can barely focus on it. I stand there mesmerized.

"Do you think strawberries and apples are good enough?" She asks without looking at me.

"Yeah, yes, that's good." I stutter like a fool.

"Okay," Her eyes finally meet mine again and I see a twinkle of humor in them. "I'll take these out and distract Octavia while you finish up."

She swipes the knife across the cutting board causing the fruit to fall into a bowl on the counter. Not a single piece misses it's mark. I don't waste my time with love but I sure like this girl. She makes me feel the closest I've ever felt to wanting to be with someone for more than a couple hours. I can't figure her out and I like it.