THE ONLY WAY

When Nora opened her eyes, she was flying above the Statue of Liberty, the box in her hands. Something pulled on her leg. Clearly, the cloak wanted her to come down. 

She moved down and handed the relic to Stephen. 

“Keep it,” he said, “the spell is free.”

The whole structure around the monument was crumbling. The spell was free. Everything went wrong. Again

Nora couldn’t breathe. Her chest was pressed under a ton of rocks. It was a good thing she was now flying, because she couldn’t feel her legs. 

Nora !” Stephen screamed. “You’ll panic later. Try to burn the spell.”

She looked at the spell he was trying to contain. Nora took a deep breath and placed her own hands over it. She felt the flames leaving her body, but nothing was happening. Not only Stephen wasn’t doing any better, but he was now trying hard not to burn. 

The spell exploded between them. 

Something screamed. 

Nora jumped on Stephen to free the cloak. “Go get the kids,” she whispered. She pushed Stephen down and landed next to him, watching the damages her fire caused to his clothes. “I’ll get you new robes.” He gave her a very disapproving look but she raised her hands and turned the fire down on herself. “At least your hair isn’t burning. That’s something.”

They took a second to look at the sky. Whatever the spell did, the sky was now filled with huge purple scars, bleeding things like open wounds. 

“Stephen,” Nora calmly said, staring at the scars with wide eyes, “tell me those are not the walls of our reality.”

Instead of saying it, he began to try and close them. Nora tried to keep up and showed him which ones seemed more important than others, but there were too many. The panic attack had never been so close. 

Another scar opened right above Stephen’s head and Nora instinctively used the magic he was throwing around to send it above them. It touched the open wound before burning entirely and closed. 

“It worked !” she shouted, finally relieved. “Even with fire, it’s closing !”

Stephen took a quick look at another scar Nora was closing and winced. “Nora, I think you’re burning these realities.”

Oh.” She stopped herself for a second. But then, she raised her hand and burned another scar. “Let’s hope none of them are Peters’ worlds.”

“Nora !”

“You’ll punish me later,” she firmly said. “If it’s us or them, it’s an easy choice.”

She kept firing, but the things that were bleeding through the scars looked awfully like people. The people she was probably killing while they were going to another world they never wanted to visit in the first place. 

“I can’t,” she sighed. “I can see them now.”

Something rang around them. Nora looked around, almost waiting to see someone landing on them, but the thing kept ringing. 

Her phone. 

“Shit,” she said. “Tony’s close. It’s FRIDAY's GPS.”

“You have a GPS on Stark ?” Stephen asked, still closing everything around them. “First you adopt his child, and now you can see where he is ?”

“Behind you !” she screamed, deviating the bandaid he was applying to one of the purple holes. “Focus on that, you’ll be jealous later.”

Seeing that he was doing a very poor job of keeping these things away, Nora started helping again. She tried not to look at the people that were probably dying. So, so much therapy. She was now maybe committing genocide, just because Stephen screwed up his spell.