GOOD NEWS

As soon as Nora regained consciousness, she opened her eyes and confusedly looked around her. Hospital. She was in the hospital. Everything was a little foggy, with only a few memories coming back to her. It was like trying to remember a horrible nightmare. There was a lot of fire. Things were burning around her, and she was in pain, and-

Pain

She couldn’t feel it anymore. Of course her head was already starting to hurt, but Nora couldn’t feel anything else. She remembered her hand. She couldn’t even see it anymore. From the tips of her fingers to her elbow, she could only see a giant cast. Bandages, screws and strings. She had no idea what happened to her finger. 

Right next to her, she smiled at her sleeping father. He never looked so tired, though. There was no one else in the room. Did anyone get hurt ? The cabin. People were hurt there. People died. What about the police ? Were they waiting for her to wake up ? What would she tell them ? 

She tried to move, but her arm wasn’t responding. Whatever they gave her, Nora’s entire body felt numb. It was probably a good thing. After a few seconds wiggling everything she could, her father woke up and slowly opened his eyes. As soon as their eyes met, he sat up  and cupped her face with his hands. 

“Oh, God. You’re back,” he breathed out. He looked around him and pressed a few buttons on her bed. “Nurse !” he screamed. “Someone !” He left Nora and ran to the door. “She woke up !” When he came back inside, he made sure she wasn’t trying to move. “Not now. Listen to me, you’re fine. You’re good, you’re back with us.”

His eyes were filled with tears, silently falling down his cheeks. He gently brushed her hair, still telling her that she was fine. As he was about to call for help again, a nurse entered, closely followed by Christine. 

So she was in New York. That was new, but things were getting clearer in Nora’s mind, and now she was wondering what her father was doing so far from home. She really wanted to go home, by the way. 

Christine walked around the bed and sat by her side. “Welcome back,” she said with a warm smile. “How are you feeling ? Just use your head, your-”

“I-” Nora was unable to finish. Her throat was burning too much. She coughed and winced from the pain. 

Christine quickly grabbed a cup of water and placed a straw in Nora’s mouth. “Your vocal cords have seen better days,” she explained. She leaned in and checked that the nurse was still checking the screens around Nora’s bed before whispering in her ear. “You still have your ring. Don’t worry about it.”

Nora nodded and closed her eyes. She still had it. Her family was still protected. Somehow, nothing else seemed to matter to her. She was alive, and the ring was still there. 

After blinding Nora’s eyes with light, forcing her to take deep breaths and cough, and touching every single part of her body not covered in bandages, the nurse turned to Christine and nodded. “I’m calling the surgeon.”

“Thank you,” Christine said. She waited for the nurse to be out of the room and looked at Nora’s father. “Your wife is signing insurance papers. She looked angry.”

“I’ll go get her,” he breathed out. He placed a gentle kiss on Nora’s forehead and left the room. 

Without a word, Christine took a tablet on the nightstand and started typing something. Nora tried to take a look, but her neck was beginning to hurt. Christine placed something in her hand and smiled. “Here’s your pump. We’ll make sure you have all the painkillers you need,” she explained before looking back at the tablet. “Is whispering better for your throat ?”