OPTIONS

“Do something !” Nora yelled, pacing around the room like a mad woman. 

“I can’t,” Rhodey calmly said. “For what it’s worth, Wakanda wanted you to have the final say.”

She stopped and crossed her arms. “Nat told me. I thought they would be better than that. Rhodey, they’re not even talking about me ! It’s all about the ring ! I’m not even a person to them, I’m just the one with the ring ! What do they think it is ? The Lord of the Rings ?”

“Nora, calm down. Someone will call security if you don’t,” he warned. “Sit down, and let’s review your options.”

She let herself fall on the chair and sighed. “116 countries. 116 countries decided that the ring was more important than me. It’s mine, I should be able to do whatever I want with it.”

“You did,” he said. “You did, and you chose to fight. I told you the day we met, remember ? You chose to fight, and there was no way out of it.”

“They’re letting Tony retire.”

“Tony lost control over everything he ever created to be able to retire,” Rhodey explained. “Every weapon, every breveted tech, they took everything. He gave away his life’s work to retire. If you want out, you’ll have to give them your ring.”

“I can’t.”

“Then you’re in for the long run.” Before Nora could argue again, he shook his head. “I’m not saying it’s right. I’m saying you’d do the same. If there was something that powerful, able to protect your family, you’d take away anyone’s freedom to keep that thing from leaving their side. It’s the exact same thing.”

He was right. Of course he was right. But now, the world decided that Nora would have no say in what she wanted to do with her life. She’d be trapped forever. She had plans. She wanted to get her old life back, and they took that choice away from her. She’d never move on, she’d never be able to put everything that happened behind her. 

For as long as she was alive, she’d have to keep fighting for people who decided that she couldn’t have the life she wanted. 

“You’re not the only one they came after,” Rhodey added. “There’s not a lot of us left. They want to keep what they have. Lang’s tech is still property of Hank Pym so he’s getting a pass. Barton is still under investigation because he's been suspiciously missing for years, Banner is in Wakanda learning science from a child with more Nobel prizes than she can hold in her tiny arms, and Danvers went back to space before they could get her.”

Nora shook her head and kept looking at the ring. “Tony really gave away everything ?”

“Not exactly.” Nora arched a brow and Rhodey leaned back on his seat, relieved that she was finally calming down. “That brilliant piece of shit gave them the breveted stuff. Because he officially had nothing left.”

“What does that mean ?” Nora asked. “Not everything was in the compound.”

“It means he gave most of the surveillance stuff to Wakanda, and everything he had left after that will go to Peter.”

“Peter ?”

Peter.”

“As in… Parker ?”

“That one.”

“The child.” Rhodey nodded. “He’s giving all existing Stark weaponry to a teenager. Is he out of his mind ?”

He shook his head. “I tried to talk him out of it. For now, the UN doesn’t know, and I’m still not decided on whether or not I’m going to tell them.”